OurJud

Finishing/lining Flesh Side/edges

Sorry for all the quick-fire questions - I hope I'm not becoming a pest, it's just that I'm itching to get something finished.

I want to finish or line the flesh side of the leather I'll be using for a slim wallet project, but don't know how to get the best results. The leather will be no thicker than 1.5mm, but I don't like the look of the flesh side and its properties also mean the credit cards don't slide as easily as I'd like.

This is the prototype so you can see that lining/finishing will be fairly straight forward in terms of the area that needs working.

post-49994-0-60242700-1393687791_thumb.jpost-49994-0-93796300-1393687792_thumb.jpost-49994-0-26688700-1393687794_thumb.j

The leather will be too thick to edge fold, so if lining, how do I ensure the fabric won't fray around the edges once cut to size and glued in place?

What fabric would I use if lining (I'd like something black)

What type of adhesive do I need?

How do I best burnish the edges of thin leather - stability being an issue, of course.

Thanks.

Not sure if this would add too much bulk but check out microfiber faux suede at your local fabric shop. It is much thinner than the real thing and is indistinguishable from the real thing at first glance.

I use headliner spray adhesive available at the local auto parts shop.

Cya!

Bob

Thanks, BDAZ, I'll take a look online.

How is it applied, though? Do I glue on a piece that's bigger than the leather and then trim, or do I cut a piece slighter smaller than the leather so that it won't get caught by anything and pull away? And what about the edge of the liner; how do I avoid fraying? Bearing in mind this will be a stitch-free wallet.

Edited by OurJud

Since it is a small piece I would probably us Barge cement, not spray adhesive. Cut to a larger size then trim and singe the edges with an alcohol lamp (no soot)

Cya!

Bob

Thanks, BDAZ. Would a lighter do the trick to singe the edges?

A lighter carefully applied. You are preventing the micro fiber suede from fraying. There is also an anti fray liquid you can get at any fabric shop.

Cya!

Bob

Anti-fray has a horrid smell to it... You can get very thin cromex leathers for the liner. The leather is not too thick if you Skive the edges and fold it over. I've folded 5-6 oz leather before