Sign in to follow this  
lute

treadle Pearson 6

I have a love hate thing going with my treadle Pearson 6. Have never been able to get it to sew properly. One problem with this machine seems to be that the needle slide plate, and/or the track that is runs in, is worn. If I take out the slack using the adjustment screws, the needle itself is pushed over to the right and hits the needle plate rather than passing through the hole.

Obviously some one used the machine for a while with this problem, because the play in the slide plate caused the needle to bounce around and chew up the needle plate opening pretty good.

I obtained some thin brass shim stock and shimmed the plate on the right side as a temporary fix. The needle now centers better in the hole.

The machine forms a stitch, but I can not get the thread tensions balanced to save my life. The machine will sew well for a ten or twelve stitches, and then snap the thread.

This machine came out of Canada; the fellow I bought it from said that it had been in storage for years, but before it was put up he had sewn a complete set of harness on it.

I always wanted a Pearson; it's incredibly ornamental in the shop, but I need to get it running the way it should.

I've got excellent close up digital photos of the problem areas if they would be of use.

Arron Martin Harness suppy out of Walenstien Ontario will be able to sell you new thread tension plates very reasonable. It sounds like your needle bar has excessive wear on it. If you would please measure it at its widest point accross ( the back side of the bevel) I will compare that to the two pearsons I have sitting here. Might have to get a new needle bar made if the wear is too much but I know a retired machinist that has built pieces for me quite reasonable. We will get you going properly. Do you have a manual for your machine? If not let me know and also give me the serial # off the machine so I will have a better idea were it fits in the sequence( they made some modifications and changes from time to time). Hpoe this helps. Greg

Thanks, Greg, for the reply. I was hoping that between you and Art I could get some expert help with this. It's no exaggeraton to say I've been trying to get this the Pearson going for several years, off and on.

Ivan at Aaron Martin Harness and I have been phone pals for a long time now. He found me a set of pedals that were missing from my treadle stand. You well know how impossible it is to find pedals for one of these machines. I was told by a couple of Pearson "experts" that I would never find the pedals in my lifetime. Ivan is a great guy and very helpful. Unfortunately, I'm in Florida and he's in Canada, and it's not easy to diagnose problems over the phone.

I did get new thread tensioner plates from Ivan, as well as needle plates, and I have two different versions of the manual. Will take those measurements of the needle bar and get the serial number.

Greg,

Measurement at the top of the needle bar (which is not in wear) is .988 inches.

Measurement at the bottom is .965.

I put a 15 thou brass shim at the right side of the needle bar to take up the slack and try to re-center the bar; can't go thicker because of the taper from top to bottom.

Having a major problem getting tensions in balance and staying consistent.

Lute your needle bar width seems to be within the two I have here, if your shim is working for now lets concetrate on the tensions. First off there should be just enough bobbin tension that you can feel a slight resistance when you are holding the shuttle in your hand and pulling on the thread. What type and size of thread and needles are you using? I will measure the settings on my thread take-up lever tommorrow and get back to you. Greg

Thanks, Greg.

Using six cord linen, dry. The machine will stitch well for ten or twelve stitches, then the upper thread starts to fray and eventually snaps.

Lute you need to use some king of thread lube, You can get Frankel's liquid wax from Bieler's or Campbell-Bosworth has a thread lube as well. If your wax stripper is not functional you can put a cut in a chunk of skirting and use it as a stripper. If you need one I can get you a stripper (original) from a contact I have in England. What size of needle are you using with the six cord and are you using 5 cord on the bottom, if not you need to try it. Campbell-Bosworth carries Barbour's linen as well as a Hungarian made linen( it's half the price of Barbour's and Barbour's are now having thier thread made in Hungary but I haven't tried it yet). Greg