Hilly

Idea to help support Leatherworker.net....

I've been thinking for some time, how to help out Leatherworker.net. I have donated $$ a couple times, but it's only a temporary help.

What about an auction site right here at Leatherworker.net? Some of the many talented people here could make something, and put it up for auction, and donate part or all of the proceeds to this site? The winner gets an original work of art to do with as he pleases, and Leatherworker.net gets a new coffe maker and fresh donuts every day. It could be an ongoing thing, or just once a year, like on Public Television. Of course, private donations would still be welcome... Either way, it would be a win win situation.

There's tons of stuff that I've seen made by the awesome people here that I can't make myself, that I'd gladly bid on (such as a really cool mask, or a creation by KK or some figure carving by Clay B for example) and I think there are others here that would do the same?

Instead of a pay it forward, it could be called PAY IT BACK (to Leatherworker.net).

Whatcha all think? Good idea? Bad idea? Why?

Hilly

Is there a show or convention some where we could send things to a designated person to sell for the network? That would cover so many more people.

I think things work well as they are. Perhaps such local auctions would generate more donations and add to the sense of community, but it's still a donation.

If we start heading in this direction, why not just have an etsy-like auction/shop section, where individuals pay 20 cents for a four-month listing and pay a percentage of the selling price. Perhaps down the road this could generate more than just donations to help defray operating costs and lead to a full-time gig for those who facilitate the administration of the whole thing. It seems that Leatherworker.net already has a growing international viewership/membership.

I'm impressed with how Etsy manages itself, a model for positive capitalism.

Ed

I sort of do that already Ed. Whenever, by some some strange set of events, I get a customer by way of this Forum, I set aside a portion to send to Johanna. I think that's fair. I've got to build up my depleted karma somehow...lol.

For this round of fund raising, like NPR, I'll offer up matching funds. To the next five people who kick in $5, in this Topic thread, I'll match that, up to $25. So send your fins, and post it here.

I sort of do that already Ed. Whenever, by some some strange set of events, I get a customer by way of this Forum, I set aside a portion to send to Johanna. I think that's fair. I've got to build up my depleted karma somehow...lol.

For this round of fund raising, like NPR, I'll offer up matching funds. To the next five people who kick in $5, in this Topic thread, I'll match that, up to $25. So send your fins, and post it here.

Fair enough, I went ahead and did $25 to get your matching funds :-)

lw_donation.jpg

post-5717-1233270492_thumb.jpg

I just sent by Paypal.

Thanks for the contribution to the Forum, John!

I was hoping to get a few new contributors, but anyway it happens is all good.

Fair enough, I went ahead and did $25 to get your matching funds :-)

The idea of a sales area on this forum has been bandied about several times, and one topic with CollinsMS, seemed to generate the most ire. From my recollection, there are some plans for this type of thing. Keep in mind that the Mod team not only has to keep up with the forum/website itself but also any of the legal issues that may arise. I'm wayyyy to inexperienced to discuss them in depth (or even name all of them) but keep in mind the 'T-word'. Somebody has to pay those, and unless LW.net is set up as a legal business entity, that means one of the Mods. So, as stated, the idea of a commercial side to the website has been discussed, and things are being worked on.

That said, I like the idea of PIB, and hope we can all contribute what we can.

I've never been accused of having any original thoughts - so I will steal carry on rdb's $25.00 contribution match. Next $25.00 donated gets a matching donation from me.

Crystal

:sign23:

Hey - Still waiting to match any contirbutions up to $25.00. Just mention your donation in this thread and I will send Leatherworker a little more coffee money!

Crystal

:sign23:

Hey - Still waiting to match any contirbutions up to $25.00. Just mention your donation in this thread and I will send Leatherworker a little more coffee money!

Crystal

Okay Crystal, I donated $100 to LW. You can send in your coffee money :)

Okay Crystal, I donated $100 to LW. You can send in your coffee money :)

Yeah, Hilly! My coffee funds are also in the kitty now!

Crystal

sent you a little bit of love Johanna. I just planted a money tree in my backyard for you. It's going to take a minute for it to grow, but when it does look out!