Sign in to follow this  

This is my First Project..it a personal business card holder...

i have practiced some of the things here and there but there was alot of first on this project, the design and layout are all mine. I have a long way to go and i see all sorts of errors, some i know will get better with time, the one that bugs me the most is the round braiding in the corners does not look right. Any tips and or input are welcome. I have learned alot reading and looking at the great work here on LW.

Thks!

leathercardholder08004-1.jpg

leathercardholder08005-1.jpg

Nice finish job! I like it a lot.

On the corners, got through the three corner holes twice each. It give a lot better coverage.

Nice for what I can see, pix are small and wont open to be enlarged to see detail.

What Tasha said about the corners.... Practice...

Get out a few scraps, and get some plastic/nylon lace and practice. Some projects when doing the round braid I will hit the corner holes three times to make it look right....

As for anything else... I cant see detail so i cannot give any opinion as to what looks right and what doesnt... I can say you have a leg up already with the fact that this is your first project, and it is all custom, not from a kit.... you have creativity built in....

thks Tashabear and Wolvenstien....i will punch some holes in a scrape and see of i can get the corners to look better...i practiced the round braid on a round coster blank and all seemed well til i tried the real corners....

here is a larger pic.....i will look into how to make the pic enlarge on here....i am also going watch in the next designs that i dont place the tribal next to the cross....its one of those things that looked better on paper than tooled.

leathercardholder08004.jpg

Edited by SouthPaw

All in all it looks real good for a first project. As the others have said, practice on the lacing of the corners. You want to double up on the 3 holes that go around the corner, and this will make it a smoother transition around, and the space showing between the lace on your corners will not be there.

Ken

I just found you a picture of a wallet done by Randy Cornelious, it shows what I mean about the corners.

Wallet

Edited by Beaverslayer

Looks great Southpaw! Especially for a first.

We are all here to help ourselves as well as others improve so dont worry about the 'all sorts a errors' you see.... They just add character to the piece.

My first freehand lacing project had the laces different lengths from the edges and all kindsa stuff...LOL

William

Thks for the comments calanneh...we are always our own worse critic as artists/craftsmen and women....and im sure in time i will get better...i havent decided on what my next project will be...but i will try to make improvements each project.

Keep up the good work :specool: