Sign in to follow this  
KendallAA

first pancake sheath

Well here is my first completed attempt at a pancake style pocket knife sheath. I thought I would share some pictures with you folks. Many of you do some amazing work so I'm a little embarassed to post this. I guess I need to start buying some tools. I'm sure a few good tool will make leather working even more fun. I made this sheath with and xacto knive and a needle and thread and of coarse the leather. I went to Tandy today to get some beeswax and some edge dressing for finish it this evening. Please feel free to comment even if you think its ugly, but if you say its ugly you have to give me a pointer because I am here to learn anything I can from you folks. Thanks for looking.

BTW the knife is a little cheap swiss army knife that belongs to my son. He loves the sheath!! He is only 6 so anything that looks like a knife he thinks is cool.

Brian

front.jpg

back.jpg

post-6554-1214972090_thumb.jpg

post-6554-1214972157_thumb.jpg

You have to start someplace. You have a point to go forward from, nothing to be ashamed of.

Stitching: A simple way to properly space your stitches is to use a small fork. Use the tips to mark the leather and then poke holes through. Double needle stitch the items. Do a few test pieces on scrap, it will look better with just a few tried.

Edited by electrathon

Kendall, Welcome to LW!

Not bad at all for your first! The stitching reminds me of my first holster- which I still use to CC my 1911. Here you will find an incredible amount of information, and an even more incredible community that will help you any way we can. Remember the old adage: 'The only dumb question is the one un-asked'.

Which tools or tool set are you planning on getting? I and others will gladly help with suggestions on what to get, what to avoid, and what you can accumulate piece by piece.

If you're pretty interested in keeping up the leather working, I highly recommend joining the Tandy wholesale club. You'll pay slightly lower prices on many things, and monthly you get two stamps for the price of one (buy one, get one). Plus, it is a good place to find hard copy books and patterns. Personally, I put in an order back in tax season and the membership paid for itself in that one order. So, good value as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a few things you should look for on your first purchase-

the Basic 7 is a good starter set, you'll outgrow it fairly quickly, but you'll learn to use each tool in several ways- like dragging a camoflauge tool to get even rows of fine lines.

Purchase an awl- worth their weight in gold.

An overstitch wheel is nice, but you can get by without it(-budget decision-)by using anything that will provide a consistant spacing. Still it is a nice thing to have.

If you'll be doing a lot of stitching, a stitching groover makes things nice and neat.

A few punches, or a punch set keeps holes nice and round. For your knife sheath, overlay a punch at the end of the belt slot to make a rounded end slot which resists tearing better.

Don't forget to check other places for tools too. I bought a second stitching/sewing awl at Harbor Freight for about $4. Hobby Lobby sells the same thing ( with a LOT LESS string) for 4 times that. Same tool.

Well, I better leave a few things for others to mention...

Glad to have you here with us,

Mike

Experience is a great teacher this one is about the 8th holster I've made and every one seems to get a little better. My wife was even impressed with this one. :rolleyes: She is one who will always tell me the truth even if it hurts.

FRONT_PD_s.jpg

Wow! That last one is lookin real good!! Great improvement!! Imagine what the 80th one will be like if you got so much better in only 8 tries.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Looks great Kendell!

I love the color, your stitchign is nice and even and you edges look good.

Great job!

will

I really like that color also. All it is is bees wax on the plain veg tanned tooling leather. I melt the bees wax and apply it to the holster with a tooth brush and then use a hair drier on the holster to keep the wax liquid until it soaks into the leather. Very simple.

I just watched this guy (I could not understand a word but I got the point). Be careful though, bee wax if flammable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9veen5Nh5uc