Sign in to follow this  

In a word, No.

Is it over oiled? You don't strip oil and conditioner, you strip finish. If it is in "old" condition, then a good cleaning with Leather Amore or Lexol ph Cleaner would be in order, then you can assess if re-conditioning the saddle with Hide rejuvinator, Pecards, or some other conditioner might help. It is also important to assess if the saddle will be safe for use and what the problems are before trying to fix it.

If the leather needs oil, then an oil dye could be added to conditioner or oil and you could get some color into it that way, your results may run the spectrm from great to blotchy.

Art

Can a old saddle be stripped of conditioner and oils and dyed a darker color?

Hi Art

I guess I should have said older well used saddle. This is my trail saddle that I picked up for around $200.00. The leather isn't in the best shape but it is a saddle I don't have to worry about. I am just looking for a way to darken it and clean it up some. It is a medium brown and I would like to go to a dark brown. I have been using conditioner and cleaner on it but I think it was almost to the point of no return when the previous owner traded it in.

Do you think adding an oil dye to some oil is worth a try?

Well, as long as it's not over oiled in the first place. Clean it up with Lexol ph Cleaner and water then if it can take oil, try Weaver 50-2144 rich brown oil stain to add to the oil. Try on a hidden spot first and don't over oil, no oil is preferrable to too much, you can always add oil, it is hard to take it away.

Art

Hi Art

I guess I should have said older well used saddle. This is my trail saddle that I picked up for around $200.00. The leather isn't in the best shape but it is a saddle I don't have to worry about. I am just looking for a way to darken it and clean it up some. It is a medium brown and I would like to go to a dark brown. I have been using conditioner and cleaner on it but I think it was almost to the point of no return when the previous owner traded it in.

Do you think adding an oil dye to some oil is worth a try?