3wunder

How Do You Store Your Pricking Irons?

Hello everyone,

I recently added some more pricking irons to my collection. How do you guys and gals conveniently store these? Tool roll? Piece of leather with loops for the irons and two holes for hanging that onto the tool wall? I thought either that or I would design a case or pouch of some sort.

Looking forward to any kind of inspiration and clever solutions!

Adam

I make a simple leather sheath to cover just the top of the tool. Then keep them in my wooden tool rack.

foam lined drawer in a tool cabinet

This, in a small designated drawer on my bench.

post-33768-0-50155700-1401016520_thumb.j

Thanks for your input! Well, unfortunately I have no drawers on my bench. I think I'll have to try a solution that will conform with my plywood tool wall. I'll post a pic of the result, when I'm done. :)

Something like this might work for you.

post-33768-0-98556100-1401066077_thumb.j

Something like this might work for you.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yup, that's basically what I was thinking about. I just think I'll make it from leather. I have lots of loops on my wall already, but I'd like to make things a little bit more modular in order to have some room for new purchases.

post-38546-0-90025700-1401083324_thumb.j

My tool storage has become much more crowded lately ... :)

Be sure to post pics -

post-38546-0-17819200-1401195928_thumb.j

Well, here's what I ended up with. No work of art, but it does the job. :whatdoyouthink:

I thought it would be nice to match the color of a similar holder thingy I made for my hole punches.

post-38546-0-36817200-1401196311_thumb.j

I like them both, but especially the numbered circles on the punches.

Yours have a better base design so the tools won't slip down and fall out when the leather stretches out.

I might just do some similar myself

Edited by WScott

I store my Crafttool chisels in a wooden rack but my new favorite chisels got a case made from a scrap piece of oil tanned leather. They're 3mm point to point or about 7.5 spi, not 3mm between prong edges like the Crafttool chisels measure. I didn't work too hard to keep it neat and clean because time is money and this isn't making anyone any money.

post-6780-0-20588100-1401332539_thumb.jp

Nice case, Joe.

Nice case, Joe.

Thank you! It really turned out a lot nicer than I was expecting even without doing any finish work.

Joe, that's indeed a nice case. I might borrow that design some time. ;)

Thanks and you're welcome to the design. It's pretty simple. The loops hold the top part in place and under the folded bottom I have some veg tanned spacers that have just enough space between to hold the bottom of the handle snug. I tapered them a little at the shoulder to make it easier to insert.

This is how I keep my pricking irons. Not much but it works and it was simple to do besides I got some more need practice on a few things.

C.

post-28682-0-47002500-1401392807_thumb.j

This is how I keep my pricking irons. Not much but it works and it was simple to do besides I got some more need practice on a few things.

C.

I like it! I had a tool roll like that to store most of my tools ... but the collection did soon outgrow it. :)

Hahahaha, my own collection is starting to take up space here as well , but I got two extra slots to go with in the tool roll yet, so I should be safe for now. One other thing you too could have the pricking irons in, is in a block of wood with holes drilled into it. Might be worth to have a look at? :)

C.

I really like the idea of good quality pricking irons ! At present I use Tandy's

I really like the idea of 3wunders pricking irons leather storage rack, and Hole punch numbering system on the wall

both are easy to access. Thanx 3Wunder

Still, I really like the idea of Basically Bobs storage rack, and his hood idea too, also on the wall for easy access. Thanx Bob

Now I have two problems ??

1. Which to chose ? and

2. What kind of Pricking irons are these ??? They look strong, and as if they would last forever ?

Joe snuffle's irons look to be the same too. Is there a name brand ?? and a distributor ? Thanx guys for your help !

Joe snuffle's irons look to be the same too. Is there a name brand ?? and a distributor ? Thanx guys for your help !

I got them from eBay. I searched and compared for a couple weeks and decided on these. I didn't get them because I think they're the best money can buy, but I believe they're the best I can afford at the moment.

I purchased from this eBay seller. He promptly answered questions about his items before I bought. http://www.ebay.com/usr/2002memory

This was the item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111348511344 "High Quality White Steel / Diamond Stitching Chisel 3mm, 1 + 2 + 4 + 6+10 prong"

I can't speak for their quality compared with the high dollar models, but these are a vast improvement over the Tandy models and are actually a little cheaper per chisel than the Tandy when purchased as a set. On the model I purchased, the steel is much harder and it's also polished, making it much easier to remove from the leather.

This is a close up. You can see the holes this one makes compared to the Tandy chisel labeled 3mm.

3mmStitchingChisels

I really like the idea of good quality pricking irons ! At present I use Tandy's
I really like the idea of 3wunders pricking irons leather storage rack, and Hole punch numbering system on the wall
both are easy to access. Thanx 3Wunder

You're welcome! I'm glad this thread is of use to others. :)

I just wanted to say thanx to both 3Wunder, And to, Joe Snuffie or is it snuffle ? Sorry ! for your quick replies

I'll check em out Thank you Guys

Actually, it's Jeff. Joe Snuffie is what drill sergeants called you if they couldn't remember your name. I guess I wan't very memorable because I got called that a few times back in 1993 at Ft. Jackson. It just stuck and I've used it ever since.