leathervan

A Few Questions About Leather

I always thought that the thicker the leather(the more ounces/more mm) also was an indication of how firm and rigid a piece of leather might be. But as I was viewing 'The Leather Guy' web page I saw that some hides were as much as 5oz and appeared soft and flexible. I need leather of about 6oz that is firm and inflexible because I am going to use it for briefcases, So what determines how soft and flexible or how rigid and inflexible a piece of leather is? And what is the terminology used in an order to convey what a person wants in that respect.

Veg tanned is what you want for your briefcases if you want them rigid. You can get a 6 oz chrome or oil tanned and it may or may not be rigid, such as chap or 'pull up' leather. It has a 'soft hand' or is very flexible. I don't know what supplier you use but if you call http://springfieldleather.com/ and talk to any of their staff and tell them what you want to do with the leather they'll make sure you are getting what you want. There are other kinds like the chrome or oil tanned that is stiff. Right now they have water buffalo on sale that has a firm hand. But you can always count of veg tanned to be firm that is undyed. The lower ozs are more flexible than the upper ones, like 6 oz. A two oz leather might not be stiff enough. Anyway they will set you right up, also with the hardware, anything you need for the project. Cheryl

Leathervan, were you looking at the cowhide splits? Generally, anything that is a split is going to be more flexible. If you're not familiar with a "split", splits are made when a piece of leather is thinned or leveled. The grain side is sold separately, and the remainder is sold as a split. Other drapey leathers are going to include things described as milled veg tan, chrome tan, upholstery, chap, deer-tanned, and bag leather, among others. The best thing to do would be to contact your supplier, let them know what you plan to make, and ask them what the "temper" of the leather is. I've seen briefcases made of latigo, bridle, and veg-tanned leathers, as well as some very stiff butt splits and pull-up leathers.