Sign in to follow this  
sheridanman

brewing a vinegaroon pickle jar

hey guys!

i have tried vinegaroon before and it worked fine, did me a great deal of saving when it comes to buying dyes, since i cant even find a good enuff dye here in my area since most of the dyes here are shoe dyes and is not really good. when i tried the vinegaroon i had the luxury of finding a pail of rusty old nails and bolts in the garage. after a week or two it worked out fine but as it gets older in the pickle jar, the vinegaroon started to show some rust residue on the leather after drying it. the beautiful matte black has turned into soething brownish that when i wiped it off it was the rust.

question did i have too much rusty metal stuff in the jar even with a lot of vinegar already in there? and second question is...when you make a vinegaroon doe sit really matte rif the metal you put with the vinegar in there has to be already rusty/ the second question lead me to ask it since i relocated in a new city and i live in a condo unit the area cant provide me any means to find rusty metal objects. and its kinda impractical to travel and look for those given my sked is too tight. can i start a VG pickle jar with vinegar and new metal objects in there and eventually leave it to rust an still get good results? i am just thinking that the lesser or not too much rust on those nails can lessen the rust residue even after baking soda wash. thanks your suggestions are depply appreciated.

second question is...when you make a vinegaroon doe sit really matte rif the metal you put with the vinegar in there has to be already rusty

Rusty metal is not required. It works just fine on any iron or steel object. BTW, above the ads is a search function on the menu bar. Enter vinegaroon, click search and you will get 200 hits.

And don't forget to leave the lid a little loose for off gassing. If you tighten it, you could get enough pressure built to rupture the jar/bottle.

I just made some. I put 5 pads of steel wool in a gallon of vinegar. After one week, the steel wool was gone.

Only other thing I did was wash the steel wool in soap and water to remove any oil that was on it. I rinsed it well, then put in the jug. Works great.