Sign in to follow this  
particle

Manual For Bench-Mounted Skiver?

Hello all. A while back, a forum member was kind enough to offer me a great price on a bench-mounted skiver. It works pretty well, but I feel like it could work a whole lot better if I knew how the heck to properly adjust it.

One of the things that frustrates me the most is when I'm thinning down a belt blank, I'll get about half way through the blank and the skiver will slice the wrong direction and cut through to the grain side. Is this because the roller drum is too far forward in relation to the cutting edge of the blade?

What about if the hide slides to the right or left - does that mean the roller drum is slightly angled forward on one end or the other?

If anyone has any tips or an instruction manual, I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't have any photos with me, and don't know what brand it is. But I think it was one of the inexpensive Tandy models that was sold a while back (without the wooden handle). It looks very much like the attached model.

post-6400-060251100 1320859234_thumb.jpg

I don't remeber what kind of adjustments you can do with that particular splitter. In general pretty much there are some things that are common to most splitters. The blade should be evenly shapr all the way across. The leading edge of the blade should be at the dead center top of the roller. The leading edge of the blade should be parallel with the top of the roller all the way across. The roller should be parallel with the blade all the way across. A good sharp blade is another factor. A dull section next to a sharp section can twist the piece and it can ride up the bevel of the blade. You should be able to take the blade off and slice a piece of skirting leather on edge with no resistant areas.

Some user problems can also cause what you are describing. On that style you need to be pulling at the level of the top of the roller or below.

Thanks Bruce - I'll pull the blade and sharpen it again and adjust it as you've mentioned. Thanks for the help!

Hello all. A while back, a forum member was kind enough to offer me a great price on a bench-mounted skiver. It works pretty well, but I feel like it could work a whole lot better if I knew how the heck to properly adjust it.

One of the things that frustrates me the most is when I'm thinning down a belt blank, I'll get about half way through the blank and the skiver will slice the wrong direction and cut through to the grain side. Is this because the roller drum is too far forward in relation to the cutting edge of the blade?

What about if the hide slides to the right or left - does that mean the roller drum is slightly angled forward on one end or the other?

If anyone has any tips or an instruction manual, I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't have any photos with me, and don't know what brand it is. But I think it was one of the inexpensive Tandy models that was sold a while back (without the wooden handle). It looks very much like the attached model.

I have a skiver just like this. I had to make a new roller for it. The reason being the L shaped mounting bar wore one of the pins faster than the other side. The roller sits crooked in those mounting L's That is why the leather slides up and down the roller. Have someone check the small ends of the roller and see if they are the same diameter. Mine was off by 1\32" it doesn't sound like much but the leather knows for sure it isn't even. Good luck.