Sign in to follow this  
KitKat

My First Headstall

Hi There,

I just completed my first headstall and thought I'd share it. Its nothing fancy, just something to throw on the pony and go ride in. It wasn't really as hard as I thought it would be. My Machine did a pretty amazing job stitching (deco), anyway, if there is anything I can improve on, please feel free to critique it.

Bridle-Martingale016.jpg

Edited by KitKat

Hi There,

I just completed my first headstall and thought I'd share it. Its nothing fancy, just something to throw on the pony and go ride in. It wasn't really as hard as I thought it would be. My Machine did a pretty amazing job stitching (deco), anyway, if there is anything I can improve on, please feel free to critique it.

Bridle-Martingale016.jpg

Kitkat,

That looks great. I have made a couple of half size saddles and a full size one but I haven't tried any headstalls yet. For one thing I don't have a sewing machine to do it with and I half to rely on the ole' hands and with this arthritis, after a while, hand sewing gets kinda sore and I half to stop and wait a while and come back to sewing or lacing. Maybe I can talk to my lovely wife and she'll let me ruin,,,I mean use her sewing machine.

All jokes aside that is a great job and I wish I could do that. Is that measured to fit a peticular horse or is it adjustable to fit.

Karl

Kitkat,

That looks great. I have made a couple of half size saddles and a full size one but I haven't tried any headstalls yet. For one thing I don't have a sewing machine to do it with and I half to rely on the ole' hands and with this arthritis, after a while, hand sewing gets kinda sore and I half to stop and wait a while and come back to sewing or lacing. Maybe I can talk to my lovely wife and she'll let me ruin,,,I mean use her sewing machine.

All jokes aside that is a great job and I wish I could do that. Is that measured to fit a peticular horse or is it adjustable to fit.

Karl

Hi Karl, Thanks! I'd like to try my hand at a saddle one day, but figured I'd be better off on the small stuff first. I know what you mean about hand stitching, It does make ones hands sore! The headstall is measured to fit an average sized horse and there is room for lots of adjustment. I took apart one of my old headstalls and used it as a pattern (I cheated) hehehe. Anyway, it was fun, am thinking of making a one ear headstall next.. Thanks again, Cheryl

KK,

Overall it looks very good. I see a few things I would do a little differently next time. First off I would skive the turnbacks under the cheek buckles a little to thin that area down and lay a little smoother to the horse. I would round or point the strap ends rather than the square cut. Kind of a visual thing. Finally I would bleed knot those concho laces rather than the square knot. Those square knot ends will flip and flap, and might get into an eye if it hangs that way. A bleed knot will hang straight down and not flop as much. The color looks good, stitching nice, and edges look nice too.

I've got a request to make a headstall, not our typical endeavor...yours is inspiring! What weight/type leather did you use? And Bruce - pardon the ignorance but where could I find info/diagram on the knot you described? Thanks, y'all.

Shirley,

Bleed knot - when the strings come out of the concho slot, cut a slit lengthwise in the middle or the top string where it exits the concho. Pull the bottom strand up through. Then cut a slit in that strand and pull then former top/now bottom strand up through that.

Thanks Bruce!! I'll definately skive the turnbacks on this as I agree with them being to thick and its a visual thing for me too. I was gonna try to do the bleed knot but wasn't sure how to do it. I played with one on a another concho, but it didnt turn out right so I leavt it until I got it figured out!. Thanks for describing how to do it! BTW - I hand rubbed the edges on this after I used the #2 edger on top & bottom. Do you normally hand rub edges on bridles to? The reins came out great after hand rubbing.

Thanks

Cheryl

KK,

Overall it looks very good. I see a few things I would do a little differently next time. First off I would skive the turnbacks under the cheek buckles a little to thin that area down and lay a little smoother to the horse. I would round or point the strap ends rather than the square cut. Kind of a visual thing. Finally I would bleed knot those concho laces rather than the square knot. Those square knot ends will flip and flap, and might get into an eye if it hangs that way. A bleed knot will hang straight down and not flop as much. The color looks good, stitching nice, and edges look nice too.

Hi Shirley T

Thanks. The leather I used to make the bridle is Herman Oak Heavy Harness. Its roughly 13/15 oz. Its probably to heavy for bridles and such and more suitable for reins.

Cheryl

I've got a request to make a headstall, not our typical endeavor...yours is inspiring! What weight/type leather did you use? And Bruce - pardon the ignorance but where could I find info/diagram on the knot you described? Thanks, y'all.