Sign in to follow this  
SojournerLeather

new designs of bible covers

Christine and I are working on a few new designs of bible covers for custom orders. This is our first prototype that we made this week as a display model for a show this week.

Any comments on the design? We're trying to design something that would fit over study bibles (so rather large surface area for a cover). The difference between ours and your traditional cover is that, since ours aren't factory made (like these), we don't have zippers that enclose the entire book; so ours don't protect that big book as well.

One idea we had was to add a bit of a leather flap and a cord to wrap around like some of the fashionable journals around today (like these ones). Any thoughts on designs for a book like this would be great.

bible101_1.jpg

bible101_2.jpg

bible101_3.jpg

post-5051-1193945907_thumb.jpg

post-5051-1193945914_thumb.jpg

post-5051-1193945920_thumb.jpg

The zipper keeps notes and cards and miscellanous papers from falling out. An inside pocket is a nice convenience. The bible cover is beautiful. I like the way you make the leather look so rich in the natural colors you choose. You can just tell thatthe older the item gets, the better the leather will look.

Johanna

That cover looks very nice. With putting the extra leather on to make the fold over flap, would'nt it cover the nive detail of the embossing though? Or would you add some to the flap as well?

Ken

I personally like it just the way it is. I wouldn't worry about a flap or a zipper, since bibles are pretty well cared for anyway. I agree with Johanna -- the antique look you're able to coax from the Eco-Flo dyes is spectacular. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Best, -Alex

I have made quite a few with zippers years ago. If you have a stitcher it works well. if you are interested I will try and take a pic of the one I made my wife 25 years ago!

Johanna, you're absolutely right about the convenience factor. We're thinking of ways to add at least a pocket.

Slayer, true enough about the flap. I guess you'd have to tool the flap up nice instead of the actual cover, or both if you'd really want to soupe it up. In fact, a flap technically might add a bit more surface area to play around with.

Abn, I like the way it looks too. In fact, I was really happy with the way it turned out, so I think we're definitely keeping this one as one design, and then maybe have a flap design to choose between.

Knight, unfortunately, we don't have a stitcher. But, to be frank, we're not really planning on getting one! We kinda prefer the covers right now being all handmade. So, that being the case, thanks a ton for the offer, but a zipper, at least for now, is almost certainly not possible. Thanks, though, for considering digging into the files for us :).

Thanks all for taking a look at it.