joet

Made In Usa?

This afternoon I was in a store in my local area that sold beads, but that's not what this topic is all about, so I'll get right to it. While my wife was looking at beads I was eyeing some leather purses that were for sale in the store window. One of the owners thought I was looking at beads and when I told her that I was interested in the purses, mainly to find out where they were made at, she perked right up. Reached into the display window and pulled out one of the purses. It had one of those painted horses on it that is the rage, and I wondered who made it. Looking at the tag it said something about a Texas Leather Shop, but I couldn't find out what part of Texas it was made in. Then I turned the tag over and saw printed right on the bottom of the tag "Made in China".

Is this what the US of A is leaning towards? Leather shops buying pre-made items from China and putting their tag on it? I should have been questioning the whole thing from the price tag, but even it was about right for a small hand made purse made in the States.

Needless to say the owner of the store was a little upset when she saw where it was made at, but I don't think she will pull the item from the store as a lot of their products come from China, but they at least say up front where it came from.

Sorry to rant about this. I know this topic has come up many times in the past, and this might not even be the place to post this, but I just had to say something. Thanks for listening.

Anyone that takes some pride in handcrafting products hates this kind of thing. Mass production masquerading as handmade is one thing, but so much of what we buy is made overseas. It's not that the purses are any better or cheaper, they just have a much bigger profit margin than any US factory could achieve. Can't blame the retailer, she probably never thought about it either. It's a perfect moment to hand her your business card.

I buy USA when I can, but it's tough when you're not a millionaire. I just try to keep my head down, do my thing, do it well and hopefully somebody will buy it.

This brings to mind an email I received 2 or 3 years ago. It was from someone in India who had seen my game boards on my web site, and was offering to put a small army of leather workers to work making my leather game boards for me. By hand. Very cheaply, even with the overseas freight. Using my designs.

I didn't pursue it, for all kinds of reasons. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few people trying to make a buck doing leatherwork and maybe struggling to keep up with the demand, who are taking them up on it.

Kate

Anyone that takes some pride in handcrafting products hates this kind of thing. Mass production masquerading as handmade is one thing, but so much of what we buy is made overseas. It's not that the purses are any better or cheaper, they just have a much bigger profit margin than any US factory could achieve. Can't blame the retailer, she probably never thought about it either. It's a perfect moment to hand her your business card.

I buy USA when I can, but it's tough when you're not a millionaire. I just try to keep my head down, do my thing, do it well and hopefully somebody will buy it.

It just so happened that I did NOT have a business card with me or I would have given them one. The woman was very nice and we discussed the fact that there is too much coming from else where. She told me that one company that they deal with is in Guatemala. They hire widows of the soldiers that are killed and help them out. I told her that I would not hesitate to buy from there, or any other country that is struggling to exist. But if it's from China I try to go elsewhere and get it.

What upset the woman was not the fact that the purse came from China, but the leather company was selling it under their name, and pushing it off as if they made it. I thought about offering to bring in something I made, but I already have various items in another store for sale.

It just so happened that I did NOT have a business card with me or I would have given them one. The woman was very nice and we discussed the fact that there is too much coming from else where. She told me that one company that they deal with is in Guatemala. They hire widows of the soldiers that are killed and help them out. I told her that I would not hesitate to buy from there, or any other country that is struggling to exist. But if it's from China I try to go elsewhere and get it.

What upset the woman was not the fact that the purse came from China, but the leather company was selling it under their name, and pushing it off as if they made it. I thought about offering to bring in something I made, but I already have various items in another store for sale.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This sort of thing is not new. Back in the 50's (I'm old, I can remember this) there was a big tiff going on about a number of small inexpensive items being sold around the nation clearly marked with "MADE IN USA". Everyone thought that they were actually American made....poorly made, but American. It was determined that they were marked correctly....for Usa, Japan! Big stink and regulations being enforced as to marking products with the COUNTRY of origin. Mike

Edited by katsass