Zonker

Question About Possible Cutting Leather With Cnc

I have a homebuilt cnc router/carver and have some rather intricate filligree I would like to cut into some leather for a project. Doues anyone have any idea of a type of cutter or blade I might be able to use with the cnc machine to do this? The spiral saw blade for dremel was kind of successful but too large of a diameter and left alot of fuzz on the edges of the cuts.

We have a two head CNC Router in our wood shop with a vacuum table connected to a 10 horse vacuum pump. I have cut almost everything imaginable with this machine but leather is a problem. You must have some type of "Hold down". The vacuum appeared to be the way until I realized the vacuum pressure is pulled through the leather at a high rate making filigree or cutting parts from a skin almost impossible. The parts just move around on the table plus the edges were never going to be good. Tried several types of cutters to no avail.

That is my experience.

ferg

I have a homebuilt cnc router/carver and have some rather intricate filligree I would like to cut into some leather for a project. Doues anyone have any idea of a type of cutter or blade I might be able to use with the cnc machine to do this? The spiral saw blade for dremel was kind of successful but too large of a diameter and left alot of fuzz on the edges of the cuts.

I believe laser cutting is your best bet. There are "one-off" types of websites that will cnc cut leather without having to make a bulk order. Ponoko.com is a good one. instructables.com has some diy laser cutters.

You might try clamping the leather between sheets of acrylic or plexiglass.

We have a two head CNC Router in our wood shop with a vacuum table connected to a 10 horse vacuum pump. I have cut almost everything imaginable with this machine but leather is a problem. You must have some type of "Hold down". The vacuum appeared to be the way until I realized the vacuum pressure is pulled through the leather at a high rate making filigree or cutting parts from a skin almost impossible. The parts just move around on the table plus the edges were never going to be good. Tried several types of cutters to no avail.

That is my experience.

ferg

I used to work in a shop where we CNC routed honeycomb composite for aircraft parts. We'd either put tape on the table side of the 'comb or use double sided tape / rubber cement to attach it to a backing plate for the vacuum fixture.

50 years, I was afraid it might be like that. The fuzzy edge issue kind of eliminates the benefit of saving time if it has to go back and be fixed.

The double sided tape idea is good I have cut a few shapes that way but unfortunatle I need really clean edges.

Thanks guys I figured it might be worth a try.

50years: evre cut aluminum on the wood machine? A friend of mine insists if you can cut oak you can cut aluminum but wanted to get an opinion from someone who knows(it did cut soapstone beautifully I made a reusable mold for casting aluminum).

Oh well at least its useful for making stamps from wood.

50 years, I was afraid it might be like that. The fuzzy edge issue kind of eliminates the benefit of saving time if it has to go back and be fixed.

The double sided tape idea is good I have cut a few shapes that way but unfortunatle I need really clean edges.

Thanks guys I figured it might be worth a try.

50years: evre cut aluminum on the wood machine? A friend of mine insists if you can cut oak you can cut aluminum but wanted to get an opinion from someone who knows(it did cut soapstone beautifully I made a reusable mold for casting aluminum).

Oh well at least its useful for making stamps from wood.

Yes, you *can* cut aluminum. Used to do it all of the time. Just make sure you have the right cutters and keep your feed rates very low and don't try to hog off to much at a time.

How many axis do you have? Can you rotate spindle head? And, do you have a way of locking your spindle. If you can rotate the head and lock the spindle, you could make a fixture to hold an x-acto blade and make a progressive series of shallow cuts. CNC's are great for repetative precision movement!

Edited by Bard Skye

Bard this beastie is a homemade/homedesigned beast and 3 axis is where I am at right now. It does awesome work considering its creator. Thanks for the info on aluminum

Bard this beastie is a homemade/homedesigned beast and 3 axis is where I am at right now. It does awesome work considering its creator. Thanks for the info on aluminum

Yeah, somehow I didn't really think it was a 5 axis hotrod.:rolleyes:

But self designed and built? You're a better man than me...

Skye

Yeah, somehow I didn't really think it was a 5 axis hotrod.:rolleyes:

But self designed and built? You're a better man than me...

Skye

Thank you for the compliment but I would be hard pressed to believe it. Maybe if I ever finish the engineering degree(hopefully soon, teaching high school is killing me) I'll work out my own 5 axis, but first I'm building me a rose engine.

but first I'm building me a rose engine.

????

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "rose engine"?

Skye

Its a type of lathe. I make do with a normal one :whistle:

A type of ornamental lathe capable of some pretty cool stuff. Rose engine