Anne Bonnys Locker

Thread To Needle Sizing

Hi folks,

I've been going through my thread references as the numbering system most used on here doesn't align with what I normally use. My threads are all high tenacity polyester and measured in metric ticket so I have been confused when I see things like #69 to #277. As I am probably not the only on I thought this might help others.

A thread number like #69 is actually a ticket size for stranded nylon and the equivalent in the polyester is 40 TKT. To confuse matters further the Indians and Asians refer to this as 210/d3 or 210/3 or 2103 which can also be called 630 as it is 3 strands of 210 weight. Confused yet?

This simple table might help:

Needle Polyester Nylon

Size Ticket Ticket

100/110 40 69

120 30 92-99

140 16 138

160/180 12 207

200 277

230 277-346

250 415

Of course these are only approximate as depending on what you are doing it is possible to use a slightly smaller or larger needle if the thread moves through it readily.

Do these numbers tally with what others have found in the real world?

Hi folks,

I've been going through my thread references as the numbering system most used on here doesn't align with what I normally use. My threads are all high tenacity polyester and measured in metric ticket so I have been confused when I see things like #69 to #277. As I am probably not the only on I thought this might help others.

A thread number like #69 is actually a ticket size for stranded nylon and the equivalent in the polyester is 40 TKT. To confuse matters further the Indians and Asians refer to this as 210/d3 or 210/3 or 2103 which can also be called 630 as it is 3 strands of 210 weight. Confused yet?

This simple table might help:

Needle Polyester Nylon

Size Ticket Ticket

100/110 40 69

120 30 92-99

140 16 138

160/180 12 207

200 277

230 277-346

250 415

Of course these are only approximate as depending on what you are doing it is possible to use a slightly smaller or larger needle if the thread moves through it readily.

Do these numbers tally with what others have found in the real world?

Your needle/thread chart matches my personal experience. I have bought thread on eBay that comes in the cord/size and in T designations. I use charts I found online to cross reference these numbers with the sizes I am familiar with.

The most common difference is nylon thread is between the B or V numbers and the T numbers. For instance, B or V, or # 69 is the same as T70, while #277 equals T270, which is the same as 4 cord linen.

Confused yet?

That table was nicely formatted last night. grrrr