Eternal Custom Designs

In Need Of A Clear Coat...super Shiny Like An Automotive Finish

Ive took on a project of a custom dog collar like no other...im using a silver base coat and two candie colors on top...I need a flexible top coat that will not crack...any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Rob-B

Hi Rob B

I have been obsessing over flexible finishes for some 3oz veg tan that will be as water resistant as I can make them and won't crack. I came up with one finish that was very shiny, flexible, water resistant but has one tiny spot of delamination. So I am in the process of trying to figure it out. I had tortured this scrap of leather a lot by putting a bunch of different things on it so I am not sure which bits worked and which bits caused the tiny spot of delamination. When I sort it out I will try to remember to post it here. I don't make anything that takes the stress of a dog collar but I am happy to share what I find out. Hopefully I will know in a day or two. I can tell you that the final bright shine was from a home made mix of bees wax dissolved with turpentine. Put in on over the finish (which was mostly acrylic) let it evaporate out some of the turpentine, "dry" so to speak then it buffed up to a real high shine.

Keep you posted,

Cheers, Toolingaround

Cool...yeah pls let me know...this will be over Auto air nases and candies though!!! I think I might have a product. ..ive done alot research on this...I can let you know as well!!

Thanks

Rob-B

Rob, . . . the old fashioned 50/50 (by weight) neatsfoot oil and virgin beeswax, . . . melted together, . . . will give you a really nice shine, . . . but the trick with it is that you have to work to get that high polish, . . . and it is a fragile finish, scratches fairly easy.

If you are thinking show collar, . . . on for the ring, . . . then back in the box till the next show, . . . with a little buffing in between, . . . it should work for you. But, again, the initial "shine" takes some elbow grease.

I cut the time a bit when I use it by rubbing it on, . . . going over it with a heat gun to melt the wax into and on the leather, . . . buff, . . . add some more product, . . . more heat, . . . more buff, . . . till I get it where I want to quit.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight...have you used this process over candie colors...im worried about bleeding issues with the candie colors!!

Thanks so much!!

Rob-B

No, . . . but it wouldn't be any big trick to rig up a test piece, . . . paint it up, . . . put on the finish, . . . your answer will lay right in front of you.

I also have no idea what you call a "candie" color.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight. ..indeed test test and test again....candie colors are basically dyes....candie apple red is called that because of the candie apples..there transparent colors in which you build layers while still seeing the base coat...red is the absolute hardest to work with!!!

Thanks

Rob-B

Q1: can you use acrylic paint? It colors really well and I've never had to us more than 2 coats.

Q2: is it water base, oil base?

I'm thinking if it is oil, . . . it should dry and not be a problem.

May God bless,

Dwight

I cant post pics...but if you email me or friend request or even text me I will send pics to show the idear!!!

Email- eternalcustomdesigns@gmail.com

fb- Rob Burelsmith

219 707 0036

Email out !

Have you tried Saddle Lac?