JulieP

How To Calculate How Long Leather Strands Need To Be?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out about how many feet/yards of 1/8 inch leather cord I need to make a 4 foot- four stranded braid for a dog show lead. I think there must be a conversion chart out there that gives approx how many feet of raw cord will give how may feet of braided product. I know it will vary a bit depending on how tight it's braided and style of braid. I just want a simple 4 strand braid.

I've google and seached leatherworker and cant seem to find any type of conversion chart. If any one could point me in the direction or give me a ball park idea so I know how much leather to buy( or if I can afford to buy it)

Thank you!

I usually calculate 4feet x 1.5 = 6 feet. I will throw in an extra foot just in case the lace snaps or some other unforseen issue comes up.

Brian...

Thank you Brian! I was also wondering if anyone works with calf leather as opposed to kangaroo leather? I have a Tandy not too far and it's much easier to buy. I want to make a show lead for myself and my dog is about 16lbs so I dont need any ridiculous strength.

I made my first dog leash from calf lace.

post-1307-126800542777_thumb.jpgpost-1307-126800278115_thumb.jpgpost-1307-126800275612_thumb.jpg
post-1307-126800273508_thumb.jpgpost-1307-126800270858_thumb.jpgpost-1307-12680026976_thumb.jpg
That was the calf lace I first bought at Tandy.
Brian...