Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

Removal of Bobbin Case Spring on 441

It seems that I'm always fiddling with bobbin adjustments.

REcently I noticed that some of my bobbins have a length of around 30.7 mm while others are 30.25 mm down to 30 mm. The shorter length bobbins seem to work the best, more consistency in results, meaning that once I regulate tension to my satisfaction I can depend on consistent results throughout a project. I've now stopped using any bobbins longer than 30.25 mm. All measurements made with a digital caliper.

I've been thinking about removing the spring in the bobbin case, so that the only friction on the bobbin and bobbin thread comes from the bobbin tension clip and not from the spring pushing the bobbin against the top of the bobbin case.

Does anyone think I'd be creating a problem by removing this spring?

Thanks,

Ed

Well, I couldn't resist. I removed that spring and am very satisfied with the results -- more controllable and reliable tension settings-- especially on lighter weight leathers. Now I can use bobbins of varying lengths and don't have to worry about the added friction that that spring causes. The only minor drawback is that now the bobbin doesn't pop out when I open the bobbin case. Not really a big deal at all.

Ed

It seems that I'm always fiddling with bobbin adjustments.

REcently I noticed that some of my bobbins have a length of around 30.7 mm while others are 30.25 mm down to 30 mm. The shorter length bobbins seem to work the best, more consistency in results, meaning that once I regulate tension to my satisfaction I can depend on consistent results throughout a project. I've now stopped using any bobbins longer than 30.25 mm. All measurements made with a digital caliper.

I've been thinking about removing the spring in the bobbin case, so that the only friction on the bobbin and bobbin thread comes from the bobbin tension clip and not from the spring pushing the bobbin against the top of the bobbin case.

Does anyone think I'd be creating a problem by removing this spring?

Thanks,

Ed