rawhidebystretch

Mystery Machine

i just bought a sole stitching machine and the fella said it was an old goodyear. The only ID I can find is that all the parts start with ROS. The needles are landis and the presser feet are landis, so I'm just wondering.....is this a landis or a goodyear? Are the parts interchangeable? Thanks in advance for any help.

post-16726-013641200 1302361014_thumb.jp

dunno, but it looks like one heck of a machine....

I am betting if you were to do a google search on one of the complete part numbers you would have a good chance of tracking all kinds of information down for it.

Although Goodyear (son of the rubber baron) invented the machines to sew the

1. Welt to the Upper and insole.

2. The Outsole to the Welt.

in about 1875, and marketed the machines to the shoe industry very successfully, later Landis, USM and anyone who could manufacture, made them for the shoe industry after the patents ran. By the turn of the century, everyone was making something for the shoe industry, it was a big industry.

To make a long story short, they were called the Goodyear welt machine and the Goodyear outsole machine. They are a single thread chain stitch machine. The welt machine sews the welt (usually tacked on) to the lasted upper and that to the holdfast of the insole. The outsole or Sole Stitcher opens a channel on the bottom of the outsole (sewn upside down) and stitches the outsole onto the welt.

Don't know who ROS is unless maybe Randall Out Sole.

Art

i just bought a sole stitching machine and the fella said it was an old goodyear. The only ID I can find is that all the parts start with ROS. The needles are landis and the presser feet are landis, so I'm just wondering.....is this a landis or a goodyear? Are the parts interchangeable? Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know what it is...I've looked everywhere I can think of, although I admit that is limited. I do know it's a rattling sucker, but sure does stitch a sole. Now if I can just get used to the clutch and going around corners I'll be rockin and rollin

I don't know what it is...I've looked everywhere I can think of, although I admit that is limited. I do know it's a rattling sucker, but sure does stitch a sole. Now if I can just get used to the clutch and going around corners I'll be rockin and rollin