erj1009

Need Help With Needles & Thread... Please

I bought a Juki 563 and slowed it down with a servo motor, I also bought a new rotary hook,it is supposed to let me use heavy thread. When I asked the retailer what size thread I could use with it this is his answer:

The rotary hook that you bought is for the heavy thread and you can use thread size 69, 92 or even 138. Recommended needle size for these thread are sizes 20, 22 and 24.

I was hoping to get up to: 207 or 277 thread, so my question would be has anyone set up a Juki 563 for heavier thread and could you please tell me the needle to use and the equipment needed.

Any advise would be appreciated!!!! Help! :thankyou:

I bought a Juki 563 and slowed it down with a servo motor, I also bought a new rotary hook,it is supposed to let me use heavy thread. When I asked the retailer what size thread I could use with it this is his answer:

The rotary hook that you bought is for the heavy thread and you can use thread size 69, 92 or even 138. Recommended needle size for these thread are sizes 20, 22 and 24.

I was hoping to get up to: 207 or 277 thread, so my question would be has anyone set up a Juki 563 for heavier thread and could you please tell me the needle to use and the equipment needed.

Any advise would be appreciated!!!! Help! :thankyou:

Your machine should be able to sew with #207 now. Just plop in a #24 or #25 LR point needle and load the same thread in the bobbin. You will have to loosen the bobbin tension screw somewhat and tighten the top tension disks a bit and the top pressure spring (a lot).

A #24 needle is too much hole for #138 thread. I use a #22 or #23 needle for #138 thread.

There is no using #277 in that machine, unless you modify it for heavier tensions on top. That means a heavy duty top tension disk beehive spring and a heavy top presser foot pressure spring. If your machine has a spring over the inside foot it needs to be cranked all the way down as well.

If the machine sews with #277 at all, it may only do so under 1/4 inch of medium temper veg-tan leather. If you try to sew any thicker that feet will probably not be able to hold down the leather as the needle ascends. The needle will stick inside the leather on the way up. This causes skipped stitches and bent needles.

A proper heavy leather stitcher has very dense springs for the feet and top tension disks. All take-up parts are at least double the thickness of those on a Juki LU-563. Also, the bobbins hold much more thread than the large LU Juki bobbin.