Maeve

Properly measuring for a bosal

Okay .... so let's assume that you want to make a bosal for a Clydesdale. Or a POA. Or any non-standard type of horse. How would you go about measuring the finished size, the nose button, and the final shaping on these horses? It was talked about "educating" people about bosals and their function, so without proper fitting, can you really get proper functioning? And ... yes .... I'm going to make a bosal for my Clyde. His headstall took 2 1/2 kangaroo hides.

Love and Light,

Maeve

Well, here is a link about bosal use and history along with a little bit about fitting. Another rule, besides the one in that article, is two to three finger's width between the top of the mecate and the horse's jaw.

Personally, I use a very un-scientific method for measure: I take a thick piece of rope that I think will be about the same diameter as my projected bosal, and put it around the intended horse's nose at the point it should sit. I hold it together under the jaw, and note where the sides would end, or where the top of the heel knot should be - however you like to think of it. I mark the rope, lay it flat, measure and braid to that length.

As for shaping: You can stick a coffee can in where the nose of the horse will be, or some similarly sized and shaped article, appropriate for the size of the horse in question. A couple of pieces of 2 X 4 might do it for a smaller horse. Maybe a gallon paint can for a big one... just something that's about the right size!

HorsehairBriader:

Thanks for posting that link. My wife is going to saddle train her 4-year old mule this summer and wants to use a bosal and macate. She's been reading everything she can on the subject, and you've just given her one more resource.

Chuck

I use a similar method as Horsehair but with a soft wire that holds shape. I mold the wire around the nose of my horse as if it was my bosal and take my measurements. I keep thinking about use the same wire shape to make a block for the bosal for when its not on a horse but my wood working skills are shall we say, lacking.

Keep Braiding,

Heather

Well, here is a link about bosal use and history along with a little bit about fitting. Another rule, besides the one in that article, is two to three finger's width between the top of the mecate and the horse's jaw.

Personally, I use a very un-scientific method for measure: I take a thick piece of rope that I think will be about the same diameter as my projected bosal, and put it around the intended horse's nose at the point it should sit. I hold it together under the jaw, and note where the sides would end, or where the top of the heel knot should be - however you like to think of it. I mark the rope, lay it flat, measure and braid to that length.

As for shaping: You can stick a coffee can in where the nose of the horse will be, or some similarly sized and shaped article, appropriate for the size of the horse in question. A couple of pieces of 2 X 4 might do it for a smaller horse. Maybe a gallon paint can for a big one... just something that's about the right size!

Thank you for your replies, Horsehairbraider and Heather. I usually use this method (measuring and flying by the seat of my pants) for my bridles, bitless and regular. I guess that is what I will do for the Clyde .... IF I can get him to hold still for that long! LOL! I used my Arab for the POAs .... but I had my sister measure their faces and I compared the measurement to my Arab. They were the same so that worked. I had a model! I never thought of a paint bucket but that might be the right size .... if it is 5 gallons! LOL! I'll have to see after I measure his face.

Heather, that is such a great idea about the wire! I have a quilters curve that might just work! I used it when I was measuring my mare's withers for a custom saddle. And it hasn't been used since! My "other job" is a woodcarver! :D Maybe I CAN work on some face models! I have a huge chuck of Tupelo out there right now that would be perfect for the Clyde! Now if I could just find a NORMAL horse somewhere .... ;)

Thanks again. I have the core ready for the draft bosal .... maybe I can start it this week some time!

Love and Light,

Maeve