Sign in to follow this  
EmbossingDieCompany

Tandy Sells Maker's Marks?

Just got my copy of Saddlers Journal and noticed a big ad for Tandy on the back for custom logo stamps (1.25" x 1.25") for $200.......on sale for $150!!! And only an 8 week turnaround.

I think that I, along with the 3 or 4 other members on here that make custom stamps, wouldn't be in business long if we charged that much and took that long......

Thanks for making us look good Tandy!

Ditto. Even my local Tandy manager wants ME to make his stamp. (and his sales associate already had me make his).

Edited by Studio-N

Everything comes back around I guess. I didn't know they were making them again. Maybe 15 years ago before the meltdown, Tandy had a program called the "College of Leather Arts". I had a broken pelvis at the time and it was a good way to pass the winter. You did modules in a particular area - braiding, case making, figure carving, etc. and climbed the ladder as you completed each one. The more modules you did the better the perks. - token discounts at the first level up to Wholesale-For-Life once you reached the top. It was a pretty good program becuase you had the incentive to do things you might not otherwise. There were levels like journeyman, master, etc. with the traditional certificates suitable for framing. Our local manager added a perk of a Tandy maker's stamp made once you reached a certain level as well. It goes on a Hefty handle. I got one and have to say it was pretty good then and damn if I'm not still using it. There are a bunch more options now for sure, and I wouldn't give up my smaller delrins for the little projects.

The tandy maker stamps are brass, with what I assume is a delrin handle built in. My local store has an example one laying around. They're pretty decent, but a little expensive, and only really come in one size, and limited styles.

Way over priced like all the stuff Tandy had. These maker stamps are only in 1 size. Their stamping tools don't last very long either without bending. I reckon it's like the old saying with Tandy, you get what you pay for these days.

I honestly don't know how Tandy even stays in business with the way they price everything. I realize they have different pricing levels if you are willing to fork out either $35 or $150, the gold pricing isn't that great and I sure won't pay the another $150 for elite. Even with the elite pricing I can normally buy the exact same product from Springfield Leather for less and get great customer service as well. Tandy opened their new "super store" next to their HQ earlier in the year, I have gone there a couple of times when I needed something in a hurry or a sale item, unfortunately the people they have staffed the place with are completely clueless about leather work with one or two exceptions. It is like shopping a Walmart and asking someone for computer help.