Sign in to follow this  
entiendo

New Bridles

Here are a couple of my new bridles. One is pink, pink, pink...not everyone's thing. I did get another order for the green though.

If anyone sees any room for improvement speak up! The pink hide was very hard to work with so it didn't roll up as nice as I would have liked. I was afraid to split it to thin because it wasn't as strong as most the kangaroo I've worked with. Another problem with those finished hides I think.

robinsbridle6.jpgpinkbridle3sm.jpgpenny'sbrilde9sm.jpgpenny'sbridle9sm.jpg

post-6663-127566443667_thumb.jpg

post-6663-127566447504_thumb.jpg

post-6663-127566451487_thumb.jpg

post-6663-127566458277_thumb.jpg

entiendo,

i really like those. hoping to some day to be able to do work that good myself. whoever gets those should be very happy.

entiendo.

Was the pink one made from the chrome tanned hide?

Nice work also.

Brian...

Oh no, veg tanned. It has a finish on it. It's what my supplier calls a "finished" hide. It's also not that color all the way through. The rough out side is a very light pink.

Thanks for the compliments.

Oh no, veg tanned. It has a finish on it. It's what my supplier calls a "finished" hide. It's also not that color all the way through. The rough out side is a very light pink.

Thanks for the compliments.

Your braiding on these is awesome (like always):You_Rock_Emoticon:, but I can't help but think how great they would look if you used rawhide vs the bright colors. :rolleyes:

entiendo

those look awesome. i wouldnt pick pink for me but its stunning. i like the green as well. i better not let my mom see that or she will make me do that in bright purple for her mare. yikes. is that a fjord horse thats modeling?

LOL...well the pink was not my idea! But I do like to use color. My own bridle has pink buttons.

Teach me how to use rawhide and I'll use it! I don't have the time to teach myself and go through the learning curve right now, horses, kids, braiding projects, a kid that's home schooled, and keeping up with all the things that need done around here! When I first learned to braid I spent hours and hours and hours a day, trying to learn to do it by look and feel, I don't have the time to devote to that right now. I keep meaning to dabble a little but I haven't yet! I really like it when someone combines rawhide and roo!

No roo, that's my Icelandic! His name is Barney! I've only had him about 3 months. I've waited a long time to have an icy!

My supplier has a natural purple that I use! Soooo pretty and would make a wonderful bridle. I actually keep hoping someone will order one.

Teach me how to use rawhide and I'll use it! ...

It is more or less the same once you start braiding, it is the string prep that changes a bit.

Gorgeous! I really like the knot in that first pic

and I like the pink color, too :P

oh yes! icelandic....i knew it was one of those frozen kinda places...very cute. oh dear not purple oh man ill have to look at that

You are no fun roo.

I'll post a couple of picture of a mini show halter I made, one of my first projects and you can see how purple looks on a horse.

halter7.jpg

halter2.jpg

post-6663-127575792933_thumb.jpg

post-6663-127575795778_thumb.jpg

that is very cute...i did a bunch of halters for our minis out of paracord only i did flat braid noses...thats a nice purple looks about the same as the purple i get when i dye my own. and i see that the white you used is the same kinda white that i buy from hardkte. if i dip that white in the purple dye the color absolutely pops out at you. oh rats i can see a new purple project in my future...

I know from my own experience with horse hide that the quality of the braid depends on the quality of the cuts you make and all that quality depends on the moister of the hide when you do the cutting and braiding.

Too much of a dry moist will give the hide you cut and braid with a stretched out white look.

Too wet and the hide is like messin with a bowl of noodles that have been over cooked. LOL... If ya can relate to that one.

I don't get to mess with raw hide type braiding much. But I know that having the right temper, or moister to the hide is essential and very critical to the cutting and braiding. This will prove to be very critical when tying the casa knots and the interweaves. Like stated above, the hides temper must be just right; or you will experience problems later on.

Brian...

Yes, that's why I haven't tried rawhide yet knothead. I consider it sometimes and I feel overwhelmed. Just not ready I think. I'm sure someday I will.

Yes Roo, it's just a plainly died natural purple. I've seen the bright purple you could be talking about. If you use a lot of those hides I can understand why you want your hides drum stuffed. That's the only way to go when you go with those bright colors.

That white was actually a chromed tanned hide. It was terrible to braid with but wasn't so bad to do buttons with. I still gave away the rest of that hide though. When you braid with good leather using chrome tanned wasn't working for me, it took the fun out of it I think.

Edited by entiendo

i think the white i buy is meant to be shoe leather. does stretch a bit more than regular stuffed roo but i tried a dry white and it was sorta yellowy...and got dirty real easy. i dont really care for this coated white but it stays white white and that was the important thing for show leads.

im getting ready to try my luck with rawhide and its very scary...if i cant get the hang of tempering right away then i lose valuable braiding time (and money) on it

Yes, that white was bright and shiny! I'm sure it's great of show leads.

LOL...be sure to let to keep us up to date on your rawhide fun!