Sign in to follow this  
Schno

Somewhere to put the scotch

Here's a bit of what I've been working on last week.

This is a flask for a British friend of mine. He calls his brother 'Nipper', and the flask is a present for him. He wanted to stay really simple with the design.

flasks_007.jpg

This one is my personal flask. I wanted to stick with the Divinci-esque theme of my logo, so I extended it to the back panels using a stencil cutter. I learned a very valuable lesson with this one: verify the structural integrity of Tandy flasks! The day I finished it (the first time), I filled it with some Johnnie Walker and was much dismayed to watch it start seeping out underneath my newly tooled leather! It was painful having to cut those stitches and peel back all of that glue! Fortunately my local Tandy store is run by a decent fellow and he replaced the flask no charge. All's well that ends well...

flasks_011.jpg flasks_010.jpg

post-6744-1217000312_thumb.jpg

post-6744-1217001227_thumb.jpg

post-6744-1217001235_thumb.jpg

very cool! Mine leaked too but by the time I noticed it, it was too late to save the leather.

Nice... very nice Schno. Nipper is a great play on words too!

Nice... very nice Schno. Nipper is a great play on words too!

Exactly, Ray! I think that's why he decided to go with a flask in this case. He was quite proud of his wordsmithing.

So you glue the leather down (that solves the mystery of how to avoid gaposis at the back curve). What glue do you use?

Well, step one is never use the leather that comes with the flask kit. It is much too short for the job. I don't know why they can't squeeze another quarter inch out of that pattern. Anyway, I always cut my own. For glue I'm using Leather Weld. It seems to do the job well enough. I haven't been able to see how it does over time, but I suspect once it's stuck, it's stuck for good. It certainly wasn't easy to pry the leather off after the leak.

Oh now you got me thirsty! I love the scotch whisky!!

I like the blue one because of it's simiplicity and how you got the blue down with the black bursting edges but now that I fully see your logo I gotta say that one is way cool. Just love the outcome of that theme. :clapping:

Gimme a drink!!!

Tom

I love making flask covers, they're so simple to put together, and provide a nice flat carving surface to play with..

I've never glued mine however. I always make mine a few mm shorter than the length required to wrap the whole flask, I then tool, dye and burnish, then stitch it up over the flask.

I've found that that way it bridges the curve on the inside of the flask, but the bridge sort of suspends the flask over the thigh (if carried in a hip pocket) without digging into the leg.

A benefit of not glueing is that the cover can be removed when the flask needs to be washed or polished.

I'm loving the navy blue and black, they set each other off really well, top job!

I'm also really liking the nice clean lines you got with the "A" flask, makes me eager to get some antique finish to play with..

I love the notated degrees and other notes in the diagram, it shows a high attention to detail, but doesn't make it look cluttered at all.