I'm assuming that I went to heavy with the spray. Is there way to salvage my piece now? What is the consensus on this product, is it viable if I just use a light coat from now on or is there a better product to get a nice glossy sheen on my work?

I tried it some time back, didn't like it. There are better alternatives in my opinion. I use Clear Lac mostly.

Chief

I've used Saddle-Lac for years. I like the way it looks (and the way it works) but I don't put it on everything - some things just don't do well wit the gloss. And, yes, if I had to guess I'd say you applied it way too heavy.

You CAN get that off, with deglazer. Depending on the size of the project (and the tannage, and a few other things) it may be easier to replace the project. About the only time I ever strip the finish off of anything is for a repair, and I don't repair stuff someone else did, so ...

Keep in mind that these days there are two different versions of Saddle-Lac. One is much like it always was, the other says right on the jug "new higher gloss blah blah" and they are NOT kidding. I grabbed a couple a whle back, not realizing i was getting one of each. Big difference.

I'm using an aerosol spray, it sounds like you're using a liquid. But yeah, I've just redone this project from the ground up. I'm only going to use this finish on pieces that won't be subject to high stress.