SimonJester753

Leather For Stamping

I've heard that veg tanned is "the only" leather to use for stamping.

I bought some stamps I like. I've got latigo. I tried the stamp on the latigo, no wetting before stamping. The impression is quite good– nice and sharp, clean. So why not stamp on latigo? Will it eventually "fade"?

I've heard that veg tanned is "the only" leather to use for stamping.

I bought some stamps I like. I've got latigo. I tried the stamp on the latigo, no wetting before stamping. The impression is quite good– nice and sharp, clean. So why not stamp on latigo? Will it eventually "fade"?

When you say latigo, it opens up a whole can of possibilities. It could be chrome tanned only, it could be chrome & vegetable retanned, it could be vegetable tanned only, it could be alum tanned and then there are still more variations of tannages. After figuring out what is the tannage, then there is the question of how much oil/fats have been added to the leather.

So, some "latigos" will take an impression just fine, some will not.

If the leather has a lot of vegetable "character" to it without much fat content, it should stamp fine.

It's probably frustrating to you as a user of leather as it is to a vendor of leather that the "proper" terminology is very often not used when descirbing leather. It's as if we are back in Biblical days and building the Tower of Babel.

Regards,

Steven Siegel, CEO

Siegel of California, Inc

When you say latigo, it opens up a whole can of possibilities. It could be chrome tanned only, it could be chrome & vegetable retanned, it could be vegetable tanned only, it could be alum tanned and then there are still more variations of tannages. After figuring out what is the tannage, then there is the question of how much oil/fats have been added to the leather.

So, some "latigos" will take an impression just fine, some will not.

If the leather has a lot of vegetable "character" to it without much fat content, it should stamp fine.

It's probably frustrating to you as a user of leather as it is to a vendor of leather that the "proper" terminology is very often not used when descirbing leather. It's as if we are back in Biblical days and building the Tower of Babel.

Regards,

Steven Siegel, CEO

Siegel of California, Inc

If it helps clarify, this is what I'm using for my black latigo:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/9056-05.aspx?feature=Product_3&kw=latigo+side

I've ordered some brown latigo straps from them as well and they seem quite different, (less oily and the finish does not go as deep).

Mostly I'm concerned if the image would fade with time if the leather is not the right kind. Or if it takes a stamped image well, should I expect it to hold up?

After I cut my straps I rub in mink oil, then aussie cream, then rub a block of beeswax over the surface and buff it to a matte finish.