Sign in to follow this  
tollertwins

Wear leather suggestions?

So after reading the number of you that recommend using a double navajo for padding, I decided to look for a couple.

Unfortunately - my guy is kind of a 'hony'...pony stuff is too small, and "standard" horse stuff is too big. Not a great confo shot attached...but you can see that he doesn't have a 'stock horse' build.

I HAVE found some reservation made blankets that are a) made for smaller horses (27 - 28"length range), and relatively inexpensive because they aren't fancy.

However - I'd like to put wear leathers on if I would decide to buy them.

Is there an 'easy' way for a non-leatherworker to do that? Or would I need to send them to somebody?

small pony.jpg

post-12801-126133626054_thumb.jpg

Edited by tollertwins

When i added wear leathers to them i made the pattern out of poster board in the style i wanted. Cut them out of chap leather. Then used 3M 8080 spay glue, headliner spray glue will work to ( auto parts store is the best place to get it at ) on the wear leather and then on the pad. Let it get tacky stick them togeather and sew.

When i added wear leathers to them i made the pattern out of poster board in the style i wanted. Cut them out of chap leather. Then used 3M 8080 spay glue, headliner spray glue will work to ( auto parts store is the best place to get it at ) on the wear leather and then on the pad. Let it get tacky stick them togeather and sew.

Great! Could you sew them by hand?

I'm sure you could sew them by hand if you wanted to. It will take a little while though. All you will need is a awl, stich wheel, needles and thread and you'll be on your way. Or if there is a saddle or shoe repair place close by ask them to sew it for you. Unless you want to do it your self.

If you have no way of sewing them on you could use some heavier leather lace....1/4" or something like that and just use a running stitch to lace them on. Probably the best thing to do is to take the blankets to a local saddlemaker and have them put them on for you.

Hope this helps....

Bobby