Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Trial Cross Draw Knife Sheath

Well here is my first effort and doing one of these cross draw guys. I think there are some better ways to do it but Im gonna see how he likes this and then go from there. I think the next style I try will be a pancake version but not sure yet.

Anyways, HO leather left natural. Sno-seal then neat-lac. Stitching 6 cord linen. The stitching leaves a little to be desired but ah well. The show off holster I made for him turned out alot better looks wise, this is primarily a utilitarian sheath.

Critique and or ideas welcome.

Things that I would change

1) I think the handle needs to stick out a tad more, make it a little easier to pull.

2) I needed to move the the snaps farther apart or just use a thinner strap with a single snap. Its really hard to seat those like that.

Personally I dont particularly like these, I wore it a bit to play with it and trying to resheath the knife when its on your back is a PITA atleast for me. Guess with some practice it would be allright. I think the side attach with a cant is the easiest all around but to each there own.

resized front shut.jpg

resized front open.jpg

resized back.jpg

post-5781-127043246297_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127043246892_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127043247499_thumb.jpg

Well here is the final version. Ive gotta take a break from making stuff for this knife lol.

I think the shorter sheath with more of the handle sticking out will make handling everything far far easier. I went ahead and dyed it cordovan (deluted).

I dont know what it was either the druggie neighbors (I dont care if ya smoke something but lowlife druggies I find really annoying) getting the cops called on them or the fighting next door or what but my stitching went all too hell. Also made several other mistakes and to be honest if this was going on ebay or was actually a money making commission piece I would of started over. However since its not and it will still function just fine I went ahead and finished it.

Anyways suggestions, comments welcome as usual. If anyone has any questions about construction or lessons learned feel free to ask.

C.D. 1.jpg

C.D. front.jpg

post-5781-127079303398_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127079304353_thumb.jpg