Sign in to follow this  
Big Papa Leather

How to make these letters?

I would like to learn how to get stamped letters to look like these:

abc_text.jpg

I know how to stamp them, I am curious as to how to get the color in the recesses to come out lighter than the leather color.

I can darken with antique application. How do you get the lighter look?

I haven't tried experimenting yet. But if someone can enlighten me as to the process that would be great.!

Allen

post-7341-1232546534_thumb.jpg

"Very Carefully"..........after stamping the letters. Seal all of the area with two coats of

super sheen finish. make sure the finish is completly dry.

use a small paint brush and apply white Acrilic Craft paint to the recessed areas.

then with a damp paper towel wipe off the excess white.

EXPERIMENT A LITTLE YOU WILL GET IT.

I would like to learn how to get stamped letters to look like these:

abc_text.jpg

I know how to stamp them, I am curious as to how to get the color in the recesses to come out lighter than the leather color.

I can darken with antique application. How do you get the lighter look?

I haven't tried experimenting yet. But if someone can enlighten me as to the process that would be great.!

Allen

Al,

do your light dye (acrylic, most likely) first, then top dye with darker (I tend to use spirit) dye.

russ

Scissor,

You can do that with what's called Block Dyeing. wrap a t-shirt type material around a "block", then apply the dye to the shirt with a eye dropper. Tap off the excess, then dye your project. This is described pretty good in Peter Main's book on coloring.

OK. Thanks for the replies so far.

Luke, I was afraid I might have to brush them in.

Rawhide, the block method I assume since the material is draped over the block it remains tight and does not allow the dye to be put into the recesses?

Russ, I assume you are doing the block method as well? Only using a lighter stain before the over all color?

Allen

Rawhide, the block method I assume since the material is draped over the block it remains tight and does not allow the dye to be put into the recesses?

Allen

Exactly!

Russ, I assume you are doing the block method as well? Only using a lighter stain before the over all color?

Allen

Exactly! I have used spirit yellow dye (to simulate the old 'nature tand' look of the '70s) & also acrylic dyes also.

Okie Dokie! Thanks guys, I'm gonna go play.

Allen

Thanks for the help.

I use the same basic method that Marlon has mentioned, but instead of a block, I use a very tightly balled pad of non-linty cotton cloth. I find that this allows a reasonable amount of dye to be absorbed into the pad, and enables a good area coverage from each application.

I find that the best method is to allow the pad to lightly skate over the surface of the leather, and build up the colour gradually. Too much pressure, and the dye is pushed down into the impressions, with horrible results!