goldenstonebazaar

Gluing Lining To The Bag With Spray Glue. What Glue And How To?

Can you point me in the right direction on how to glue lining to a bag with spray glue? What glue is preferable, and do you know any low smell, easier cleanup versions?

My problem:

I'm trying to add lining to the bag, thin suede or pigskin lining, so far practicing on scraps.

It seems that many are using 3M Super 77 spray glue, it sounded pretty much straightforward: shake well, spray, attach, smooth. It didn't work this way: it produced not a fine particles, but fairly irregular blobs, not good. It was red label 3M Super 77 Low Mist Spray Adhesive. After that that I saw other Super 77 glues: black label Low Mist and Multi-purpose. Maybe I used wrong kind of glue.

This glue required cleaning spraying head with turpentine (strong smell). It seems that it dries fast and that cleaning should be done at once, when clean hands without smell of turpentine are required to attach lining to main material. Are all Super 77 glues require cleaning with turpentine? Are there any low odor replacements for it?

Another problem: I placed flat leather pieces on paper, back side up, sprayed glue. When it was time to pick them up to attach the lining, glue from paper and edges was sticking to fingers, and clean hands would be preferable when touch leather. What I'm doing wrong here?

Maybe this is one of the things that anyone has to figure by itself. Anyway, advice, please, if you find it possible, if not - I'll understand and will continue by trial and error.

Thank you.

I think you've gotten a bad can. I use high tack and low tack for all kinds of projects. Never had that happen.

Don't clean the spray head- turn the can upside down and let the propellant blow the remaining glue out.

Super 90 is far stronger and longer lasting than super 77. But it is also more stringy, less mist like.

I never clean the tip. Pick the dried glue off the nozzle and spray a test spray onto the trash. The pieces will be sticky, that is what you want to happen, just pick them up carefully, and be careful what you are touching.

Thank you! This helps a lot.

I'll try a new, this time different label, can, and pressure cleaning for a nozzle.