Sign in to follow this  
craftsman827

NEED HELP REPAIRING ZIPPER

I like doing repair work, besides my normal leather work.

I just received a repair job.

It's a broken zipper on a womans handbag.

There are about 4 teeth missing on the zipper.

It's not worth the effort to replace the zipper, but I would like to replace the missing teeth.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN REPLACE THE TEETH ON A ZIPPER ????

I like doing repair work, besides my normal leather work.

I just received a repair job.

It's a broken zipper on a womans handbag.

There are about 4 teeth missing on the zipper.

It's not worth the effort to replace the zipper, but I would like to replace the missing teeth.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN REPLACE THE TEETH ON A ZIPPER ????

I am assuming you are talking about a metal zipper here. Yes, it is possible to repair them if the cloth that the teeth are clamped on is entirely whole. But it is a real pain in the neck to do so. I would say that generally it would be much easier to replace the zipper entirely. If, as you say, that is not worthwhile; then it isn't worth trying to replace the teeth either. I have done a successful job with a couple of large zippers on gun cases but have never tried it with a smaller zipper.

1. Find a matching zipper to get "donor" teeth from.

2. Cut out a section from it with at least

twice as many teeth as you will need.

3. Burn off the cloth. I used my torch in the shop to do this.

4. Spread the jaws of each tooth where it clamped on the cloth. I used a single point lacing chisel for this. Do not spread the jaws too much and crack the metal. This is why you started with extras. Just spread it enough to slip on the cloth base.

5. Now it is time to assemble the zipper - What you need to do is start a bit back from the damaged area and zip the teeth together manually without using the zipper pull. To do this you need to simulate the action of the pull and flex the sides and slide them into each other so that they interlock. When you get to the damaged section, add in your donor teeth with the clamping parts fitting onto the cloth base. After you are past that section, continue on a ways with interlocking the teeth.

6. Now you should be looking at a closed zipper section. Using the point of a modeling tool, or some other suitable tool, make sure that each donor tooth is lined up square on the cloth base and the whole assembly looks uniform.

7. Now, place the zipper of a hard surface and using a small pin punch, tap each tooth closed so that it grips the cloth base securely. Make sure that each tooth is in the correct position before doing this step.

8. If you are satisfied that the teeth are secure, then go ahead and carefully separate the zipper sides. Rub a bit of parafin wax on the teeth for lubrication and try closing the zipper in the normal fashion with the pull slide.

Like I said before, I have done this with large zippers. I really can't imagine a situation where it would be feasible on a smaller project.