Sign in to follow this  
Armor boy

Armor

i am using a water soaking method to make leather stronger and playable to make armor. What i want to know is how to start it and any other useful pointers. I am building a roman style (vest and shoulder sections) kind of armor.

i am using a water soaking method to make leather stronger and playable to make armor. What i want to know is how to start it and any other useful pointers. I am building a roman style (vest and shoulder sections) kind of armor.

What size are you? I'm 6'1" and about 180, . . . would my armor fit you?

If so, . . . I can mail you a paper pattern. It is similar to the centurion's armor in the recent movie The Eagle with Channing Tatum.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-069782300 1329887583_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Good Morning,

I'm attaching some drawings for you, shoulder pieces and front and back.

I'll send you a paper cut out of the two big pieces if you send me a snail mail address.

My original pattern was a "trial and error" cutting of black vinyl from JoAnn Fabrics, I bought a 45 inch by 36 inch piece for $16.99 or so. It is a little flimsy when compared to the leather, . . . but works wonderfully when compared to paper.

The leather measures .165 thick, which is 10/11 oz leather. I happened to walk in to a Tandy shop the day they got some "consignment" leather in, which had some sort of finish and pattern on it, . . . I purchased two pieces, . . . something near 40 x 60, . . . and made the armor, shoulder pieces, grieves, cuffs, belt, apron, and still have a few scrap pieces.

I use the armor in my persona presentation of the Centurion of Capernaum, Salvatorus Antonio, from the year 35AD.

One thing you MUST remember to do with this type of armor if you are going to wear it, . . . make sure the arm holes and neck holes are big enough. If they are not, . . . they will rub you raw, . . . and you run a real risk of infection, . . .

Secondarily to that, . . . in your forming process, . . . look real close at mine, there are two wooden blocks forming the "breast plate" projections, as well as a downward curving crescent. The forming process for that was done on a flat table to get the impressions, . . . tough on the thumbs, believe me, . . . and the downward curving crescent was nothing more than a piece of 3/8 inch rubber hose, taped to the table. The blocks were also taped to the table. After you get your details formed, . . . work on rounding your shoulders and the sides, . . . but do the detail stuff first.

Soak your leather in the bathtub in water that is as hot as you can stand to work in it, . . . soak it for a good 4 or 5 minutes, . . . you want it really wet, . . . but don't use scalding water. You should be able to keep your hands in the water.

Block off about an hour and a half or two hours to do this process. You need to form it, . . . then go back and play with it every few minutes to make sure the shape is not changing.

(I actually used a piece of screen wire, rolled into about a 24 inch tube, . . . 6 feet long, . . . suspended in my hallway over a heater register, up about 36 inches from the floor, . . . to finish the rounded forming and drying of the sides. The shoulder straps just hung down over the ends of the tube.)

When you get it out of the water, take it immediately to your forming table, . . . do the breast pieces, etc, . . . get that done first. You can then form the rounded parts over a 5 gallon plastic water jug, . . . must be smooth so you don't get inadvertent impressions.

BE SURE TO DO THIS: at the neck holes, arm holes, and bottom of both pieces, . . . use your thumbs to form it outward, like the edges of a funnel. Roll the leather out, . . . this gets rid of the sharp edge that will chafe you mercilessly. It also adds tremendous rigidity to the armor.

Leave it to dry for at least 36 hours, . . . do not try to force dry it, . . . maybe put a fan on it, . . . but no electric heater or such.

I have not done any detail carving on mine yet, . . . but all the Roman statues show wreaths, birds, people, some of their gods, . . . lots of details were put on their armor. That of course was for the Emperor and Legio's, . . . but hey, . . . centurions are a bit vain too, . . . need a bit of "decoration"

When I do it, . . . I'll just cut the detail like a carving and then paint the details. Probably going to be an eagle and a wreath, . . . not sure yet.

If you have any questions, . . . email me back.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-065485800 1329926407_thumb.jpg

post-6728-022368200 1329926422_thumb.jpg

post-6728-038477600 1329926442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight

pattern

i have an idea on a pattern and if any thing looks wrong tell me

pattern

i have an idea on a pattern and if any thing looks wrong tell me

and thanks!

That particular armor is called Lorica Segmentata, . . . and is a pain to build. I have the metal version, . . . which is fairly authentic.

That style as leather armor was never really used by anyone back then, . . . but is used today by actors and/or re-enactors.

Good luck,..............

May God bless,

Dwight

i am doing something like this but layering strips on a vest.