Mrs Barry Hicks

Sca Leather Coronet Historical Documentation?

Does anyone have any historical information pertaining to leather coronets and crowns? I am entering a leather coronet into the period headpiece competition at the East Kingdom War Practice in two weeks. I cannot find any documentation pertaining to leather crowns or coronets at my library and on the internet. I've seen many Kings and Barons/ess wearing them. I could only find on reference to a biblical character wearing a leather crown and am not sure how legit it really is. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Barry (the White)

Can't resist... I do know that there is in existence several leather replicas of the crown of the King of Burger... Sorry about that.

From the research I've done in the past, I know of examples of leather headgear from helms to hats to some fairly ornate, ummm, headbands for a lack of a better term. However, in the lack of ever reading about it, I would assume that leather wear to signify position or royalty would probably not have been very common, as part of the sign of position would be the wealth to have metal smiths fashion those sorts of items. Not much actual help, but I couldn't help myself with the picture.

post-8561-093646100 1308005191_thumb.jpg

LOL! Hey I remember him! Ahhh, thanks anyways. I did find some info from another person at another board. I'll put some info together at some point and post it here for others. :)

King of Burger.... jeeshhead_hurts_kr.gif

Barry

Can't resist... I do know that there is in existence several leather replicas of the crown of the King of Burger... Sorry about that.

From the research I've done in the past, I know of examples of leather headgear from helms to hats to some fairly ornate, ummm, headbands for a lack of a better term. However, in the lack of ever reading about it, I would assume that leather wear to signify position or royalty would probably not have been very common, as part of the sign of position would be the wealth to have metal smiths fashion those sorts of items. Not much actual help, but I couldn't help myself with the picture.

In 1983 (AS 17?) Jarl Sigmund the Wingfooted of Ansteorra had a gilded, wide-brimmed flat-topped hat made by Mistress Branwyn O'Brallaghan that was decorated all over with twisty beasties and knotwork. It was commonly referred to as the "Celtic Cowboy Hat." They claimed that it was authentic for his Norse persona.

Brendan

Does anyone have any historical information pertaining to leather coronets and crowns? I am entering a leather coronet into the period headpiece competition at the East Kingdom War Practice in two weeks. I cannot find any documentation pertaining to leather crowns or coronets at my library and on the internet. I've seen many Kings and Barons/ess wearing them. I could only find on reference to a biblical character wearing a leather crown and am not sure how legit it really is. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Barry (the White)

Dodge offered leather as an option on the Coronets, so there should be some pics out there. :innocent:

How legit is it? It isn't. People do it, for a variety of reasons, but -- and I say this with the greatest of affection for the Society -- people do, and wear, an awful lot of dumb un-documentable crap in the SCA head_hurts_kr.gif

I've never seen any documentary or pictorial evidence that anyone in the middle ages who was of a position to wear a crown wore anything other than the biggest, most gem-studded hunk of precious metal they could get their hands on, let alone a strip of leather, so Jarl Sigmund is probably the closest you'll ever get to a 'historical' figure wearing one.

Assuming you haven't made it already and are trying to document after the fact, and need something to enter, why not hand sew a coif or something? I've never been to the East, but if I were judging an A&S competition I'd give a basic hand-sewn coif with good documentation a lot more points than a beautifully made but impossible to document leather 'coronet'.

Just my 2c from over in Lochac.

William de Wyke

Per pale sable and argent a bend cotised counterchanged