Sign in to follow this  
Byoung

leather to make tool bags

What would be your thoughts on the two leathers, good and bad when used for tool bags? I have several people who want me to make them some but I want to choose the best leather for the job. The two leathers I have to work with are what I can easley get.

:whatdoyouthink:

Thanks

Bert

What would be your thoughts on the two leathers, good and bad when used for tool bags? I have several people who want me to make them some but I want to choose the best leather for the job. The two leathers I have to work with are what I can easley get.

:whatdoyouthink:

Thanks

Bert

Bert, i would also like to devote more of my stock to latigo and oil tanned, but don't yet have a consistent source. What are some good places for these? My two main sources are Siegels of California and The Leather Guy of Minnesota.

I like latigo over the oil tanned. I also like veg tan over the oil tanned, but I'm beginning to see that many customers prefer softer leathers, which are also less expensive.

For tool bags, i would worry that the oil tanned, which is oil infused chrome tanned, might damage the metal on some tools because of the salts used in the tanning process. I can't imagine , for example, a gun case made of chromed leather. I'm not aware of such a problem with latigo.

There are many more people in this forum who know better than I about all this.

Ed