I did a small project for my husband a few days ago. Some letters stamped onto a strap for putting on his keys. He wanted the letters colored tan and the strap itself left natural. I am still pretty new to coloring and started with the straight tan spirit dye and the finest brush I had. I wasn't very happy wiht the results. Then I got an inspiration...

Many years ago I had purchased a fountain pen for dipping in ink made of glass. I dug that out and gave it a try and it worked GREAT! Much more even coloration and much easier to get into the letters without getting spots elsewhere. One of these days I am going to go get my regular "cartridge" fountain pens out of the attic and try filling empty cartridges with the spirit dyes and see how that works.

But has anyone tried similar? I am not sure whether it will draw well through the regular fountain pens. If it does, it might also be nice in a calligraphy one for signing more artistic projects or putting a name on something too small to carve or stamp effectively.

Something like the glass one might be worth trying if you need to do small areas like the 1/4" stamped letters. Also worked well coloring the inside of our small makers mark. I will definitely be experimenting more with it.

Just an idea from a less-experienced maker.

I did a small project for my husband a few days ago. Some letters stamped onto a strap for putting on his keys. He wanted the letters colored tan and the strap itself left natural. I am still pretty new to coloring and started with the straight tan spirit dye and the finest brush I had. I wasn't very happy wiht the results. Then I got an inspiration...

Many years ago I had purchased a fountain pen for dipping in ink made of glass. I dug that out and gave it a try and it worked GREAT! Much more even coloration and much easier to get into the letters without getting spots elsewhere. One of these days I am going to go get my regular "cartridge" fountain pens out of the attic and try filling empty cartridges with the spirit dyes and see how that works.

But has anyone tried similar? I am not sure whether it will draw well through the regular fountain pens. If it does, it might also be nice in a calligraphy one for signing more artistic projects or putting a name on something too small to carve or stamp effectively.

Something like the glass one might be worth trying if you need to do small areas like the 1/4" stamped letters. Also worked well coloring the inside of our small makers mark. I will definitely be experimenting more with it.

Just an idea from a less-experienced maker.

Cool idea!!

Need to try that one day, I have some of them pens laying around....

But myself I am using small, extra small and 000 size brushes, I decorate Furniture with acryl.floral motives...get u a very fine brush from the art store, dip it in dye touch a scrap piece of leathe to get the first heavy flow of dye away from the tip and go after it....steady hands, good light and magnifying glasses help too!!

Jimbob