Sign in to follow this  
Bar C Leather

Saddle Fitting Pads

So, I am intrigued by the computerized saddle fitting system and I think I could really have a business using one here in the "Horse Capital of the World," Ocala, FL. My best guess is that it is a pretty pricey system, so until I can research it more and afford it.... what do you all think of this little doo-hicky?

I haven't made up my mind about it yet, trying to figure out if there's just too much room for error to trust it.

http://www.reactorpanel.com/RPstore/product.php?productid=23&cat=6&page=1

gives you data (not opinion) to determine how and where your saddle is causing pressure.

All something like this can do is tell you about higher levels of pressure, not what those levels really are. There will be changes unless everything has 100% the same pressure 100% of the time, which is never true. I imagine the levels of indentation can tell you how uneven it is, but it doesn't tell you if it is enough to cause problems or not. Even then, it is still a yes/no type of thing. It doesn't tell you WHY that is happening, nor if it is significant or not, nor what to do to fix it. So you can go out and say "your saddle really has pressure points", but then what? "Buy one of mine? I have a truckload here to try out?" That is what a lot of these things are used for - selling saddles. There are a lot more sophisticated systems out there for a lot more money that still do the same thing. For a lot of people these systems are simply a sales gimmick. The person using them still needs to understand the why and have the ability to change it correctly.

So, I am intrigued by the computerized saddle fitting system and I think I could really have a business using one here in the "Horse Capital of the World," Ocala, FL. My best guess is that it is a pretty pricey system, so until I can research it more and afford it.... what do you all think of this little doo-hicky?

I haven't made up my mind about it yet, trying to figure out if there's just too much room for error to trust it.

http://www.reactorpa...23&cat=6&page=1

From the standpoint of having a business and selling a service I can see how you could produce an income stream from any of these systems. The fact is most horse owners do not have a sufficient base of knowledge to properly take care of their horses. As such they are easy marks for the unskilled and untrained equipped with a high tech looking gimmick. Since there is a constant stream of new people entering the market I can see that such an investment could bring a return. What you don't want to do is mistake what you're doing as actually helping people with their issues. First of all none of these systems do anything that your hand cannot do as easily. What they all lack are solutions. If you have what you need to give them solutions you no longer need the gimmick.

David Genadek

From the standpoint of having a business and selling a service I can see how you could produce an income stream from any of these systems. The fact is most horse owners do not have a sufficient base of knowledge to properly take care of their horses. As such they are easy marks for the unskilled and untrained equipped with a high tech looking gimmick. Since there is a constant stream of new people entering the market I can see that such an investment could bring a return. What you don't want to do is mistake what you're doing as actually helping people with their issues. First of all none of these systems do anything that your hand cannot do as easily. What they all lack are solutions. If you have what you need to give them solutions you no longer need the gimmick.

David Genadek

Amen! to Denise and David

Edited by AndyKnight

Points well taken. I suppose I should just keep up my research and trust that I can judge the fit of a saddle by the methods I've learned already and study more every chance I get.

Thanks!

Natalie