Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Sting Ray Hide

I was shopping at my local Tandy and what do I see. Sting Ray on sale. So I pick one out. It is black with a really nice pebble finish and a very symetrical Mother of Pearl inlay. I plan on using as an inlay for a guitar strap. So, question. Do I just cut glue and stich it like regular cowhide? And is there any finishing requirments? Please let me know if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of. Oh Boy Exotic inlay time :banana:

Thanks,

Jon

I was shopping at my local Tandy and what do I see. Sting Ray on sale. So I pick one out. It is black with a really nice pebble finish and a very symetrical Mother of Pearl inlay. I plan on using as an inlay for a guitar strap. So, question. Do I just cut glue and stich it like regular cowhide? And is there any finishing requirments? Please let me know if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of. Oh Boy Exotic inlay time :banana:

Thanks,

Jon

FWIW; I understand that you need to grind down the hard little 'nubbins' around the primeter of the portion being used as an inlay, then possibly skive or sand down the underlying skin for a nice, clean fit. Mike

And don't forget to wear a mask and goggles when you grind those nubs down. You won't want to breathe that stuff or get it in your eyes.

And don't forget to wear a mask and goggles when you grind those nubs down. You won't want to breathe that stuff or get it in your eyes.

You guys mean like a sanding/grinding disc in a Dremel?

The sanding drums work really well for this, 100grit will take them down pretty quickly.

FYI - dry erase markers work great for drawing guidelines on lighter color stingray and cleans right off with a damp rag.

For darker colors, I use low tack pinstriping tape.

Like Spinner, I use sanding drums. The disks are more difficult to use. I also have some Dremel/Ryobi type coarse grinding wheels and cones which are pretty good to use as well.

Thank You Folks,

I will get myself a Dremal and some sanding drums. One other thing. Do I need to finish this at all, I mean top coat wise? I assume the black color is from a dye.

Thanks,

Jon