Bobby hdflame

Picture Of Cool Checkbook Cover, How Do I Make One?

I was looking around on Etsy and ran across a really COOL checkbook cover. I would love to know how to do this type of leatherwork.

Anybody know how this is done and what kind of leather to use?

Thanks,

Bobby

http://www.etsy.com/...?ref=v1_other_2

th_il_570xN202264442.jpg

That appears to be something really soft.....deerskin, or deer tanned, or garment leather. There's a little form built behind it, the eyes are glued in, and then the leather is scrunched up to make to face. Glue backing to hold everything down.

I would do it with 1-2 oz veg tan leather pig skin would be great because of the texture.

case the leather , then start forming the face, let dry, then fill in the voids on the

back side.......

What would you guys use to make the form out of or fill in the back with?

I guess using veg tan leather, it would harden and hold shape after casing and forming? This leather does look like soft leather. I was thinking some kind of closed cell foam like landau top foam, layered with glue and then shaped down by sanding?

Am I close to what ya'll are thinking?

Thanks,

Bobby

I would do it with 1-2 oz veg tan leather pig skin would be great because of the texture.

case the leather , then start forming the face, let dry, then fill in the voids on the

back side.......

Luke,

If you were casing leather to mold like this, would you just submerge it in water for several hours and let it just get REALLY pliable?

Thanks,

Bobby

It would probably work to make the background out of veg tan, but I'm thinking it would make the overall product too thick. The whole thing could be done in veg tan, maybe Kip, but the texture looks wrong for that. For the 'lumps' around the eyes, I think stacked and shaped foam, maybe neoprene, would work well to reinforce the leather at those critical features. The outer layer is laid over the base, pressed down by hand around the lumps, and the significant details are worked in. The wrinkles and scrunched up areas are probably just pushed in and left until the glue (I'd guess spray glue) had dried.

Luke,

If you were casing leather to mold like this, would you just submerge it in water for several hours and let it just get REALLY pliable?

Thanks,

Bobby

It would only take a few minutes,after all you will be using thin leather and a small piece. I think 2-3 minutes would get it wet enough.you'll see when it is pliable.

Edited by Luke Hatley

It would only take a few minutes,after all you will be using thin leather and a small piece. I think 2-3 minutes would get it wet enough.you'll see when it is pliable.

Luke,

Thanks for the suggestions. This looks like a neat project to play with. We just got our daughter a Kindle for Christmas, and I'd like to make her a case for it. I think she'd get a kick out of this.

Thanks,

Bobby