Sign in to follow this  
chainedrose

Braiding Soap

I have read about the braiding soap recipe of ivory soap, animal fat and water.

However I am not keen to handle animal fat. Are there vegetarian options that I can use? Would vaseline + coconut oil(or any other oil) be a good substitute for the braiding soap?

you might already know this but ray holes makes some stuff called rawhide cream u can use that stuff but it might be a little expensive, also you dont necesarly need animal fat, just take ivory soap and scrape it, possibly with a poatato peeler or something, and mix it wth some water over the stove, i have not made this stuff but the guy that taught me to braid uses it , i have a friend that makes a mix with snowseal and something else, ill get back to you with the mix

I don't braid rawhide, but when I have to braid leather I just use glycerine and water on a sponge.

Kevin

well for leather there is pecards... i got mine from davidmorgan.com it is non animal product....works really well, i dont know about using it on rawhide

This might be to simple but I just use the small bars from hotels. Put it in a small plastic container, add a little water, and stir it up with a cheap throwaway paint brush. The hotel soap is usually real mild and sometimes you get lucky and get a good clyserine bar. Then just slather it on with the paintbrush as you are braiding. When it sits and gets dry after a while just add some water and you're good to go. I learned this from a friend who used a shaving brush but they are to expensive. This is for rawhide. I use drumstuffed Roo and it's got plenty of grease in it for me on the leather side. Brad

I don't braid rawhide, but when I have to braid leather I just use glycerine and water on a sponge.

Kevin

@Kevin is there any proportion in which You use the glycerine and water? do You mix it before and keep ready or while braiding?

@curlyjo so any good glycerine based soap should work fine?

@ct701996 & roo4u i live in india and so purchasing these products from amazon, ebay etc and then shipping to india nearly doubles the cost for me. i have searched the markets here, but am unable to find a suitable product. so i have been looking for home-made options.

@All, i am braiding with latigo cow leather, not rawhide or roo.Thank You for Your suggestions

I just wet the sponge and rub it on the glycerine bar, then the leather. I don't think I have braided latigo, mostly veg tan and I usually wet the leather first and then put the glycerine on.

Good luck,

Kevin