douglais

Lamellar Armor

Here are some pics of my latest project. It represents what a Varangian Guardsman would have worn circa 1000. The Varangians were Viking mercenaries who were the personal bodyguard of the Emperor of Constantinople, in the Byzantine empire. They would have drawn this kind of armor from the Byzantine armory, besides wearing their own personal gear. I didn't make the plates. I'm not crazy. They were made by a fellow named Torvaldr who has a clicker. There are about 275 plates in the vest, and it took me about 12 hours to lace it all together. The plates were purchased already hardened by heating them, then melting wax into the leather.

Doug

post-16976-000247900 1326574612_thumb.jp

post-16976-052159700 1326574636_thumb.jp

Looks good. The first thing before reading your message was bless those with the fortitude to cut plates then have to lace it. I use straight up large leather pieces for my armour. Way too lazy. But to reiderate. Looks fantastic.

Thanks Dimitri. I would have never made this if I had to cut my own plates. I drew out a lot of easier designs, with large plates, before I settled on this. I was bitten by the authenticity bug, so had to use the smaller lamelleae. Also, I've gotten to be much more patient as the years go by.