1Man

Domestic Sewing Machine Series 153

Hi Guys,

I just picked up the sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother. It's made by the Domestic Sewing Machine Company and it's a Series 153. I'm interested in building some belts using 7/8 leather and backing it with some 2/3 oz tooling kip or calf skin. I was able to run the machine without any thread and it seemed to run through the leather with ease. I really don't think this machine was designed for this application so, what do you guys think? I've never used a machine for leather before so I'm wondering if this is just wishful thinking or if this will actually work. I"m sure I probably need to be more concerned about how tight I can get the stitches (I presume), as opposed to just being able to punch holes in some leather.

Thanks in advance! :)

I think you'll have a hard time running anything larger than 69 (if that) thread through it. The hook is just not up to big thread, and the needle bar might not handle very big needles either.

Art

Hi Guys,

I just picked up the sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother. It's made by the Domestic Sewing Machine Company and it's a Series 153. I'm interested in building some belts using 7/8 leather and backing it with some 2/3 oz tooling kip or calf skin. I was able to run the machine without any thread and it seemed to run through the leather with ease. I really don't think this machine was designed for this application so, what do you guys think? I've never used a machine for leather before so I'm wondering if this is just wishful thinking or if this will actually work. I"m sure I probably need to be more concerned about how tight I can get the stitches (I presume), as opposed to just being able to punch holes in some leather.

Thanks in advance! :)

OK, so I'm familiar with seeing that the common thread sizes are 277 for top and 207 for bottom with size 25 needle. How does this compare to the size 69 that you mention? Are the 277/207 much larger than the 69?

Yes, they are a lot larger, they usually use shuttles (hooks that don't go all the way around but instead back and forth, usually rotary now) for anything over 138, although some have pushed it with 207, but your hook is smaller than the ones they do that on. But, you have the machine now, so try it and see.

Art

OK, so I'm familiar with seeing that the common thread sizes are 277 for top and 207 for bottom with size 25 needle. How does this compare to the size 69 that you mention? Are the 277/207 much larger than the 69?

You're right, I have it so I guess I'll just have to try it and find out. I was just curious if I was trying to get water from a stone.

But, do I really need to be sewing with heavy thread for a belt? Would 138 work?

Sure, it is a matter of the look you want, however you might have a little trouble with 138 in that machine.

Art

You're right, I have it so I guess I'll just have to try it and find out. I was just curious if I was trying to get water from a stone.

But, do I really need to be sewing with heavy thread for a belt? Would 138 work?

Cool beans. I'll have to give it a try and let you know what my results are. It's worth a try. It's a really nice classic looking machine that would look great in the workshop but, I think my grandmother would like it even more if I were putting it to use. :)