CitizenKate

Miniature McClellan saddle

I live near Ft. Riley, Ks, which has a rich US Cavalry history. After visiting a museum there and seeing all the different versions of McClellan and other saddles there, I suddenly had a new fascination with saddles. I have often thought I would enjoy the challenge of learning to build a saddle, but since I don't own any horses and haven't ridden since the early 80's, I have no need for a real saddle. What I'd really like to make is a miniature McClellan saddle as a display piece.

Question is, where to get a tree, hardware, the patterns, etc. A few years back, I had a discussion with Verlane Desgrange about this. She offered to send me a book she had on the construction of full-sized McClellan saddles, which included the patterns. She said a miniature version would be built pretty much the same way; the only problem would be finding a tree, stirrups, and all the hardware. I was going to take her up on her offer one day, but sadly, I waited too long.

Now, I'm considering pursuing this again... anyone have any ideas where I can start?

Thanks,

Kate

:sign23:

Anyone out there got any information about McClellan saddles (preferably 1872-1885)? I got a PM from one member who says he can help me with the tree and hardware. Still looking for more info about tree dimensions and patterns.

Thanks,

Kate

Citizen Kate,

I have a book,

Cavalry Equipment 1874

Ordnance Memoranda No. 18

It has all the who, where, why and heretofores you could ask for and very detailed patterns with measurements. It is a reprint and probably still available, of course, I don't remember where I got it, however;

Reprinted by

S and S Firearms

74-11 Myrtly Ave.

Glendale, New York 11385

I may have gotten it directly from them or an over-reactor supplier ( oops I mean a re-enactor, Oh no, I mean an historian) sorry I couldn't help it... Hope that helps, Kevin

I did a quick search for S&S Firearms on the web, and found they have a web site with complete contact information, and a downloadable PDF catalog.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/

The books you mention are not listed, but they do have other books on the subject. I'll add them to my list of possible resources.

Thanks very much for posting, Kevin and Denise,

Kate