Relly

Bracelet Clasps

I make bracelets as a hobby. Every bracelet that I make has two brass snaps, because it's sturdy and looks nice.That's what I have always done with my bracelets.

I have thought about using magnetic snaps, buckles, and/or lacing. I like the idea of lacing, except that the wearer must be able to close up the bracelet himself - even tying a bow is difficult one-handed. Buckles use a fair amount of hardware. The magnetic snaps reveal pins which need to be hidden. Bag clasps might work, I guess, but that's more hardware, which eventually would break. I could use a hook and loop system, maybe. I thought about lacing on small d-rings, using binding posts to anchor the D-rings.

What are some other sturdy, easy and crafty things that I could do to close up a bracelet? I have a lot of options, but none of them are exciting me much.

You might try some Sam Browne studs. They can be found as rivet or screw backs... other than that I can't think on anything you haven't already listed. I'll be interested to hear other's input.

Well, there are good old snaps, and they come in a variety of finishes. You could use conchos. I sometimes use them as closures on the books I make. I like the ones that stand up off the leather a bit. They come in a variety of sizes and decoration. I use them like a button. Fasten the concho on one side of the piece, then cut a slot on the other side. Pull the slot side over the concho and presto!

I like both of those ideas! The screw-in studs would be a lot simpler to use, and they will look nice. Conchos open up some creative possibilities, too.

Velcro dots. Easy to put on by yourself, and easy to apply. I get them from the sewing department at Wally World. If you want a fancier look, use a tongue and slot attachment or rectangular D-ring.

Loop and lanyard knot