Sign in to follow this  
Peter Ellis

pair of cuisses (thigh protection) and bazubands (forearm and elbow protection)

I've just finished these up today, a pair of cuisses (thigh protection) and bazubands (forearm and elbow protection).

On the left cuisse there are two stainless steel panels riveted in, on the right cuisse there are no reinforcements, but the rivets are there to balance the appearance.

All the pieces are 13-15 oz saddle skirting, hardened by soaking in a weak solution of Titebond III and then baking at about 180 F. After that they get dyed, painted, and sealed by dipping in acrylic floor polish :blahblahblah:

P1001489.jpg

post-2402-1189697236_thumb.jpg

Hey Peter!

Very nice work. Do you guys actually get into combat with this stuff? I'm sure there must be rules and limits. I've never been exposed to historical re-enactment of this period before. During our six year stay in Northern Virginia we saw plenty of Civil War period re-enactments, but nothing like this. Very cool!

Mike

Hey Peter!

Very nice work. Do you guys actually get into combat with this stuff? I'm sure there must be rules and limits. I've never been exposed to historical re-enactment of this period before. During our six year stay in Northern Virginia we saw plenty of Civil War period re-enactments, but nothing like this. Very cool!

Mike

Yes, Mike, we get into unscripted, competitive "combat". Many years ago Blackbelt Magazine did an article on us, said we were the only genuine full contact martial art. Our group doesn't use steel weapons, instead we use rattan (like is used in furniture) to make simulated weapons.

One of the cool little details is that our predecessors in history did something similar. They would have tournaments where instead of using real weapons, they would fight with wooden "batons".

We play hard enough that the armour is needed for safety.

Hello Peter

Very nice - I play SCA in the Middle Kingdom -- Where would you be at....

Mike

If you want to find out more about SCA.... look up www.sca.org, lots of info and links to all kinds of subjects.

Suze

Thanks Suze!

Hello Peter

Very nice - I play SCA in the Middle Kingdom -- Where would you be at....

Mike

If you want to find out more about SCA.... look up www.sca.org, lots of info and links to all kinds of subjects.

Suze

Hi Suze, I'm an Easterner, Barony of Carrillion (central New Jersey)

I'm in the Barony of Flaming Gryphon (Go Ermine and Or) from around the Dayton OH area