Elmore

Finishing A Stitching Pony

I've been working on making a stitching pony over the last couple of days and I've gotten to the point where I need to pad the jaws with leather. After looking at many of the ponies and horses available here, it seems like the leather sleeve approach is the one I'd like to try for.

From those people who have gone this route, or known others who have, is it best to try and wet form the leather AND then adhere it in some manner (epoxy, upholstery tacks, sewn) or can the wet forming be omitted and leather just be cut and tacked in place?

I haven't had any experience with upholstery tacks so if you could tell me a little bit about the proper use and technique I sure would appreciate it! (As well as where they can be found, the local walmort carried a few bags but they were UGLY!) Most likely because I was looking for a very small and simple style and the large faux gold ones didn't quite fit that category.

I'm getting anxious to finally start stitching on this thing--and I'm sure you guys and gals will have the advice I need to get all finished up!

You can find plain small brass upholstery pins from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MZWZ1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1YXB0GPXJ9QQ8), or Hardware and Tools.com (http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Stanley-N279-141-National-Brass-Small-Round-Head-Upholstery-Nails-038613279148.html). Both the Stanley and the National pins are around 1/4 or 5/16" in diameter, I believe. Or, maybe try brass Escutcheon pins? Even smaller, and probably carried by the local hardware or big box store.

I just used Barge to glue my leather to the pony & horse. Good luck.

I was able to find some #8 blued cut tacks at a local hardware store that I think will work pretty well. Plus with the amount that came in a small box, I'll be able to upholster just about anything!

I also made a stiching pony this weekend and used Tanners Bond Craftsman Contact Cement. I applied it to the leather and the wood then let it dry tacky. Pressed the leather onto the wood and it worked great. Be shure the leather is the position you want cause it will stick fast and won't be easy to re-postion if you get it wrong.

I ended up tacking the leather on with a couple blued cut tacks and am pretty happy with the result. (I serendipitously created two little pockets that my threaded needles fit in perfectly so I don't have to worry about them falling and becoming unthreaded, pretty happy about that little accident.)

After sewing a few stitches on it I must say it works much better than the vise I was using previously. It was well worth the effort to finally build one of these! I'll try and get some pictures of the pony up in the next couple of days.