Joellmartel

Hello From Whitehorse, Yt

Greetings from Northern Canada!

I honestly don't remember ever making an account on this site, So when I tried making an account and seeing my email was already in use, I was really surprised. Turns out I had thought about working leather before crazy.gif . Anyhow after Christmas this year I decided that I needed to pick up a hobby. I wanted to pick up something I would enjoy doing for a long time, that would allow my creativity to flourish, and maybe down the road when I get good enough make a little extra income. I Love books! I am an avid reader and love the look of quality, old leather bound books. I also Love just about anything out of the Victorian era where quality and craftsmanship was valued over speed of production and quantity. I'm looking forward to learning this new craft and have quite a few project in mind that I am looking forward to starting! As I am new to this craft I would love any Educational resources you are willing to recommend. So far I only own one book "Basic Leathercrafting" By "stackpole books" Features work and instructions by William Hollis and Alan Wycheck. One thing that isn't features in this book that I would like to learn about is leather forming something that is most common in saddle making if im not mistaken.

This ends my short introductions and I can't wait to meet the people who take part on this website! All the best and happy new year!

Joel

wave.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and a happy new year!

Hello from Minnesota, USA

What kind of forming are you looking to do?

If it is saddles then you could start with AL Stohlman encyclopedia of saddle making all 3 books, each book has different parts of the saddle in-detail, book 1 has many tools and things to help build saddles.

If you just want to form the leather, soak it in room temperature water until it stops bubbling (they call this boiling the leather) take the leather out shape it, let dry.

just let us know alittle more of what you want to do and folks on this forum are more then happy to help you.

happy new year

most of my tools I have picked up here and there (auctions, e-bay and even friends) it all depends on how much of ones retirement you want to keep from the kids LOL

low end tools would be the craft tools and the high end would be made with damascus steel.

just about any of them will have to be sharped when you get them.

the better tools do make leather work easier.

one thing that works good for shaping is deer antler in different sizes.

not a lot of help I know but someone with more tool knowledge can chime in and help you more.