kikilamour

Workshop Ideas - Lock Up Garages

In the last 6 weeks everything has been turned upside down as the family home is being sold sharpish. So I have not been able to do any leather work - or any crafts. Problem is I have a show coming up in September which was postponed for me when things got hectic and another show I have to start prepping for.

I can't hire a proper workspace just yet as they are ££££ so I have been considering a lock up garage for rent since some of them come to about £90 a month here in North London.

Obv my tools and leathers and industrial machine (133k8) would be kept there and all cost a nice tidy sum.

1) Security is my first main concern

2) If no electrical source or form of heat - does anyone have any ideas about getting some lighting in there so I can see what I am doing, Obv I will be working in the day but would like to see around at night too if possible. Oh and erm heating?

Opinions leather gods. Good idea or not

Hi Kikilamour, I have heard of people using storage units as small workshops as more secure and usually have electric I don`t know if they have rules against this here but could be an alternative to a lock-up garage which doesn`t sound a good solution because of security.

Ah darn so it makes sense to just rent a bigger place for myself then and incorporate a working space. If I got a storage unit it would add up considerable. The lock up garages were actually really affordable

How's your current living situation? When we lost our home in a fire in 2013, we moved into a TINY, less-than-ideal place to life. Insurance hasn't paid out yet so we're still there.

You'd be surprised what you can do with a small space. It's not comfortable, but you can usually make it work. I found a wall, got a sturdy workbench to put up against it, and bought a few of those plastic drawer units to store my supplies. I got an ikea-style closet to put up against another wall to store leather and other large things. This meant there was no room for a dining room table, so we got a small fold-out table for my husband to eat from (he doesn't mind). My handpress is on a windowsill, and some of my supplies are on the windowsill too. We drilled some holes in the wall, and some of my supplies are hanging from there. My workbench doubles as my dining table and office desk, so I have to clear it as much as I can when I'm not using it.

It's not pretty, but it's enabled me to keep crafting for my Etsy shop. I love to dream about what kind of workshop room I'd build if we were to build a new house. If your living situation is temporary and money is tight, maybe you can find a small space in your current residence to put a workbench.

Edited by lightingale

How's your current living situation? When we lost our home in a fire in 2013, we moved into a TINY, less-than-ideal place to life. Insurance hasn't paid out yet so we're still there.

You'd be surprised what you can do with a small space. It's not comfortable, but you can usually make it work. I found a wall, got a sturdy workbench to put up against it, and bought a few of those plastic drawer units to store my supplies. I got an ikea-style closet to put up against another wall to store leather and other large things. This meant there was no room for a dining room table, so we got a small fold-out table for my husband to eat from (he doesn't mind). My handpress is on a windowsill, and some of my supplies are on the windowsill too. We drilled some holes in the wall, and some of my supplies are hanging from there. My workbench doubles as my dining table and office desk, so I have to clear it as much as I can when I'm not using it.

It's not pretty, but it's enabled me to keep crafting for my Etsy shop. I love to dream about what kind of workshop room I'd build if we were to build a new house. If your living situation is temporary and money is tight, maybe you can find a small space in your current residence to put a workben

It's not pretty, but it's enabled me to keep crafting for my Etsy shop. I love to dream about what kind of workshop room I'd build if we were to build a new house. If your living situation is temporary and money is tight, maybe you can find a small space in your current residence to put a workbench.

I think this is going to have to be it. I am just going to have to make do and be creative with storage ideas I think. I already have a long work bench with a splitting machine attached to it anyway x