Pounder

Craftool Dates

Hello:

I just purchased a new inventory program and want to add my Stamp collection . I have searched this site several times over and cannot find a listing for the ages or manufacturing dates for Craftool stamps. Does anyone have the basic information? I appreciate anyone's assistance. Thanks

1329583690[/url]' post='235125']

Try WyomingSlick's blog? He has quite a bit of his research on Craftools, Midas, and others.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display§ion=blog&blogid=31

Thanks, Winter Bear, I searched once and did not find what I was seeking so I left and when I came back to it, sure enough there it was. Appreciate the help.

This is the guide that I posted on ebya many years ago and seems to have been accepted as the source for most sellers and buyers there.

Disclaimer: The following is only my opinion as based on many years of observation of the thousands of Craftools that have been in my hands. It is not my intent to malign Craftools or Tandy in any way. The old saying: "You get what you pay for" applies very well to Craftools. In 1953, the average price of a Craftool was approximently equal to the average working man's hourly wage. Projecting that forward to the present, the average price of a Craftool should be around $12.00! That kinda brings into perspective the relative price of Craftools as opposed to the prices of the custom toolmakers, doesn't it?

Craftools have been made since the later 1940's. Generally speaking; the stamps produced in the early years are better tools. If you compare a collector tool made in the early "craftsmanship" days of the 1950s to one produced within the last decade or two - the difference is readily apparent. The earlier tools will generally have better knurling and chrome plating. Tool finish will be better as most tools were hand ground by a master craftsman. In fact, many of the later tools were formed by die stamping on a machine and show no evidence of hand grinding, AND: as the dies wore out many inferior tools were produced. Of course the dies were replaced from time to time and the first tools made with them will be better than the later ones. The other problem is that the later tools will have been made by a factory worker who worked for an hourly wage and may have been motivated by production and not so much quality. The earliest Craftools were made by machinists who had to meet a quality standard or Craftool would not accept the tool. In my opinion; I am not too sure Craftool even had a quality control department in the later years. In any event, Craftool Co was bought out by Tandy in the early sixties and shortly thereafter, the lineup of availible Craftools was sharply trimmed back. That is why many of the older tools will not even be found in a letter-prefix version. On the other hand, they have introduced many new tools which are not to be found in an unlettered version. A great many of the "figure carving" tools fall into this category.

A rough guideline as to age can be made from what is stamped on the handle; If it says:

1. CRAFTOOL CO - No Number-most likely made before Craftool started putting the numbers on the tools around 1950.

2. CRAFTOOL CO. - with only a number, it was made prior to 1963.

3. CRAFTOOL CO. - with a letter prefix & number it was made about 63' to 68'

4. CRAFTOOL CO. USA - with a letter and number it was made after 69"

5. CRAFTOOL USA - with a letter and number it was made more recently, and

6. CraftJapan - made very recently AND in Japan

So what happened? In the early years, Craftools were made by machinists. These machinists were readily available as the postwar years left a great supply of out-of-work machists available and many of these produced tools for Craftool among others such as RBS, Cal-Carv, etc. As the years went by these craftsman retired and the market for good leathercarving tools declined. As the Golden Era of the Westerns (movies and television) slacked off, fewer people were taking up leathercraft. Another factor was that Craftool was bought out by Tandy and the operation went from a job-lot operation to a factory type one. So for these, and other reasons, Craftools declined in quality. It reached the point by the mid-70's where most serious leathercraftsmen wouldn't order a stamping tool by mail anymore. They would wait until they were able to visit a store and select the tool from the store inventory. My best advice when buying Craftools on eBay? Buy the older pre USA tools if you can find them. Look carefully at the pictures for signs of neglect such as excessive rust and of course damage to the tool face. Be wary of bad pictures-sometimes there is a reason why they don't have a good picture

Thanks for the info WyomingSlick. I'd like to begin buying some of the older tools, but have been generally hesitant about making the ebay plunge. I'm waiting on two Craftool stamps, both pre-USA, I've just purchased from ebay, so I'm now really looking forward to seeing how much better they are than the Tandy ones I bought for my Scouts.

This is the guide that I posted on ebya many years ago and seems to have been accepted as the source for most sellers and buyers there.

Disclaimer: The following is only my opinion as based on many years of observation of the thousands of Craftools that have been in my hands. It is not my intent to malign Craftools or Tandy in any way. The old saying: "You get what you pay for" applies very well to Craftools. In 1953, the average price of a Craftool was approximently equal to the average working man's hourly wage. Projecting that forward to the present, the average price of a Craftool should be around $12.00! That kinda brings into perspective the relative price of Craftools as opposed to the prices of the custom toolmakers, doesn't it?

Craftools have been made since the later 1940's. Generally speaking; the stamps produced in the early years are better tools. If you compare a collector tool made in the early "craftsmanship" days of the 1950s to one produced within the last decade or two - the difference is readily apparent. The earlier tools will generally have better knurling and chrome plating. Tool finish will be better as most tools were hand ground by a master craftsman. In fact, many of the later tools were formed by die stamping on a machine and show no evidence of hand grinding, AND: as the dies wore out many inferior tools were produced. Of course the dies were replaced from time to time and the first tools made with them will be better than the later ones. The other problem is that the later tools will have been made by a factory worker who worked for an hourly wage and may have been motivated by production and not so much quality. The earliest Craftools were made by machinists who had to meet a quality standard or Craftool would not accept the tool. In my opinion; I am not too sure Craftool even had a quality control department in the later years. In any event, Craftool Co was bought out by Tandy in the early sixties and shortly thereafter, the lineup of availible Craftools was sharply trimmed back. That is why many of the older tools will not even be found in a letter-prefix version. On the other hand, they have introduced many new tools which are not to be found in an unlettered version. A great many of the "figure carving" tools fall into this category.

A rough guideline as to age can be made from what is stamped on the handle; If it says:

1. CRAFTOOL CO - No Number-most likely made before Craftool started putting the numbers on the tools around 1950.

2. CRAFTOOL CO. - with only a number, it was made prior to 1963.

3. CRAFTOOL CO. - with a letter prefix & number it was made about 63' to 68'

4. CRAFTOOL CO. USA - with a letter and number it was made after 69"

5. CRAFTOOL USA - with a letter and number it was made more recently, and

6. CraftJapan - made very recently AND in Japan

So what happened? In the early years, Craftools were made by machinists. These machinists were readily available as the postwar years left a great supply of out-of-work machists available and many of these produced tools for Craftool among others such as RBS, Cal-Carv, etc. As the years went by these craftsman retired and the market for good leathercarving tools declined. As the Golden Era of the Westerns (movies and television) slacked off, fewer people were taking up leathercraft. Another factor was that Craftool was bought out by Tandy and the operation went from a job-lot operation to a factory type one. So for these, and other reasons, Craftools declined in quality. It reached the point by the mid-70's where most serious leathercraftsmen wouldn't order a stamping tool by mail anymore. They would wait until they were able to visit a store and select the tool from the store inventory. My best advice when buying Craftools on eBay? Buy the older pre USA tools if you can find them. Look carefully at the pictures for signs of neglect such as excessive rust and of course damage to the tool face. Be wary of bad pictures-sometimes there is a reason why they don't have a good picture

Just a question here. Are the CraftJapan tools any relation to the Craftools and are they even sold by Tandy? I thought they were mostly sold by Hidecrafters recently. The ones I have are superior to any Craftools I have bought new. In some cases the ones I have are superior to even some handfmaker's versions of a particular stamp.

Just a quick thanks to all who responded. Wyoming, fantastic information, just what I was looking for. Again thanks to all.

Just a question here. Are the CraftJapan tools any relation to the Craftools and are they even sold by Tandy? I thought they were mostly sold by Hidecrafters recently. The ones I have are superior to any Craftools I have bought new. In some cases the ones I have are superior to even some handfmaker's versions of a particular stamp.

Actually Bruce, I am not sure what, if any, relationship there is there. The above was something I posted many years ago and I believe I made an assumption that may not be valid. I really don't remember why I thought they were related. I know I only have a few CraftJapan stamps which came in an eBay lot I purchased. I haven't bought a new stamp from Tandy in over a decade so I have no idea what they even say on them as of today.

I googled CraftJapan and didn't find out anything new. The post on this forum that was supposed to have a link to CraftJapan stamps took me to a site that had Craftools on it.

Anybody know of any referances to the CraftJapan stamps and what company produces them?

Craft Japan is Just craft Japan. The owner of Craft Japan was a good friend of the owner of hidecrafter & made tools for hidecrafter, which is why you see "hidecrafter japan" on some tools. They still do make a lot of tools for hidecrafter.

I agree with behind the wire, Craft Japan is seperate from Craftool. There are stamps out there that are goldish in color with either a stamped Craftool or an ink printed Craftool and these are made in Taiwan from what Jim Villwock (Customer Service Manager at Tandy) has told me.

crafttool is no longer in business tandy has rights to the brand that they still use for the china made tools that they over price.