Sign in to follow this  
Timothy

Basketweave Checkbook Cover

Howdy,

It has been a long time since I've posted anything. I have started basket stamping and really trying to improve my work. This checkbook cover is the first I've made. I used 8-10 ounce leather and made the insides out of some scrap chometanned stuff. I'm not happy with my basket stamping yet, but it is improving every time. I finally got the depth I'm looking for.

Please critique. My own is that it is too thick and I need to line the centers of my stamps up better.

Thanks,

Tim

108_0855.JPG

108_0860.JPG

post-6115-1249887205_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1249887436_thumb.jpg

I like it Tim! You know what they say about getting to the Grand Ole Opry.....you got to practice...practice...and practice some more! :thumbsup:

Thickness rather depends on the quality of the leather and how pliable it is and so forth. I have a wallet in my back pocket that I made 15 years ago and she's still strong. Maybe she's not as pretty as she used to be but the same applies to my ex-wife. LOL! The thicker the leather the more life you are likely to get form the piece.

Looks to me like everything lines up pretty well. The centers look good, and the weave is parallel to the to and bottom margins. I'd say the stamping is fine.

As far as using 8 oz. I do it. I gouge a channel in the middle for the fold. Then if you skive the edges down, they look neater and thinner. I line with pig or goat and then my pockets are 3/4 oz.

Thanks.

Ya'll just made me feel a lot better about it. The thickness doesn't bother me that much, I guess I was just worried that it made it look clumsy or unprofessional.

Tim

Timothy

I would like to see your pockets. Keep up the good work

Tim

Here are pictures of the pockets. I hope they are big enough.

109_0914.JPG109_0915.JPG109_0916.JPG

The flap is for carbonless checks. It is thin hard plastic off a notebook cover stiched to a strip of lining leather. The plastic does not extend to the outside stitch line. This allows it to flex better.

Tim

post-6115-1250145867_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1250145930_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1250146033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timothy