JDMcCall

Patterns

Hello, New to the forum and still getting information before I dive in and start buying tools and supplies. How much of the design work is done freehand versus just using dies/stamps. Are there computer programs available to help make designs and get them laid out like a tatoo artist would use then transfer the design over to the leather?

I suppose it depends on your level of artistry. I primarily use designs/patterns from various sources and kits and use the basic stamp set to "create" them. I do have several 3d stamps but do not use them very much. If you are the "artsy" type then you will likely create your own designs to transfer then use the basic tool set to "create" the image on the leather. Keep looking around here as there are many topics that answer your questions and you will develop your niche. The "basic" set of stamps is enough to do quite a few designs. Once you are comfortable with those, then you may decide to get more.

I have to agree, It's highly dependent on many things and is one of the most common questions asked here. It's truly up to you how far you want to go with the designs.

There are some programs for the computer that help with layout and drawing, but it's still very possible that a pencil and paper will work for you as well. I have heard of people here using Inkscape, GIMP, Illustrator, or even CorelDRAW. This is, by far, not a complete list. Some are free others, not so much. It just depends on your skills and budget.

The amount of detail you want to add is up to you. It can range from just simple swivel knife cuts to extremely elaborate works of art with a myriad of option in between. There is something to be said for the simple carvings, but those won't always fit the project well. I depends on the skills and time you want to invest.

As for the tools, there is a beginners list for tools that will help you get an idea of what you might need/want. Once again, it's dependent upon your budget and what direction you go with the projects you do. It's also possible that you can get your tools and supplies in a piecemeal manner. There's no need to buy everything all at once and I've heard more than a few times about other members here who still have tools that have either not been used yet or only get used on rare occasions.

Another note on tools, there are some that can actually be made or modified from other items. It just depends on your skills and how you want to go about that one. I personally enjoy making tools myself, but there are others' that would rather just buy the tool they want/need and get to work. It makes sense to buy the tools if your business depends on you using said tools, but for a hobbyist it can be fun to experiment with what may or may not work.

Patterns for the artistically challenged can be found in tattoo books, coloring books, embroidery books, etc... As well as the regular leather pattern books. You can make copies and trace them or just use the design as an idea and go from there. Then there are the people that just draw it out and it looks great the first timeout ( not me). Good luck

David

I would have to agree with all of the above post. I am new to leather working but I am somewhat of an old timer in the Apparel Decoration business, Embroidery, Screenprinting, etc, and I have gotten a A LOT of my design elements from coloring books from the dollar store, as well as subscriptions to clipart services. There is a clipart collection you can buy online (Amazon) for about $10 that comes with a 1 year free subscription to iClipart.com, and I also use graphicsfactory.com a lot too. Vecteezy.com is a good free one that I get design elements from as well. Do a Google search of free vector images and you will find a bevy of sites. Because I can't draw a lick (My stick people look fat :)) I use vector programs and a graphics pen tablet to do all my designing, then print it out on vellum, then I can transfer it to the leather. My program of choice is CorelDraw, not because it is the best, but because that is what I first learned when I started my Embroidery business so I just stuck with it. I do have and know Illustrator but find myself going back to what I am most comfortable with and that is Corel. I am sure that if I had the skill to do it freehand with a pencil and paper I wouldn't need any of the tools I use, but since I was not blessed with such artistry, I get it done this way. The programs have a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it, if you can imagine it you can design it.

Good Luck!

Karina